A microstrip-fed slot antenna is proposed for short-range UWB communication. First, the characteristics of a circular monopole UWB antenna, as a representative of a class of UWB antennas seen in the literature, are examined in time (pulse-shape) and frequency (reflection and transmission coefficients) domains. From these measurements, certain limitations of this class of antennas are brought out, which are not widely recognized. We then demonstrate that with proper optimization the traditional microstrip-fed slot antenna overcomes these defects and is an excellent candidate for UWB communication systems. This claim is justified with measurements in time domain and frequency domain.
2. Zhang, X., T.-L. Zhang, Y.-Y. Xia, Z.-H. Yan, and X.-M. Wang, "Planar monopole antenna with band-notch characterization for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 149-156, 2009.
3. Lim, K.-S., M. Nagalingam, and C.-P. Tan, "Design and construction of microstrip UWB antenna with time domain analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 3, 153-164, 2008.
4. Liang, X.-L., S.-S. Zhong, and W. Wang, "UWB printed circular monopole antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letter, Vol. 48, No. 3, 1532-1534, Aug. 2006.
5. Zhong, L., B. Sun, J. Qiu, and N. Zhang, "Study of a circular disc monopole ultrawide-band miniature antenna," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, No. 3, 326-330, 2008.
6. Kiminami, K., A. Hirata, and T. Shiozawa, "Double-sided printed bow-tie antenna for UWB communications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 152-153, 2004.
7. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, Nov. 2005.
8. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, L., M. Fardis, A. Abolghasemi, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Frequency and time domain characteristic of a novel notch frequency UWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 337-348, 2008.
9. Chen, W.-L., G.-M. Wang, and C.-X. Zhang, "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip-line-fed printed wide-slot antenna with a fractal-shaped slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 7, 2176-2179, Jul. 2009.
10. Chen, D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
11. Chen, Z. N., X. H. Wu, H. F. Li, N. Yang, and M. Y. W. Chia, "Considerations for source pulses and antennas in UWB radio systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1739-1748, Jul. 2004.
12. Kumar, M., A. Basu, and S. K. Koul, "Electromagnetic short pulse generation techniques," 2010 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Theory (EMTS 2010), 332-335, Berlin, Germany, Aug. 16-19, 2010.
13. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, London, 2000.
14. Kumar, M., A. Basu, and S. K. Koul, "Circuits and active antennas for ultra-wide band pulse generation and transmission," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 23, 251-272, 2010.