In this paper, a novel compact butterfly shaped printed monopole antenna for ultra-wideband (UWB) applications is presented. The proposed antenna is designed with a standard printed circuit board (PCB) process for suitable integration with other microwave components. The antenna prototype is designed then fabricated and tested experimentally. The calculated impedance bandwidth of the proposed antenna ranges from 3 GHz to 13 GHz for a 10 dB reflection coefficient (S11) while the measured impedance bandwidth ranges from 3 GHz to 10.8 GHz covering the whole UWB frequency range. The measured antenna radiation patterns show relatively stable radiation patterns with almost constant gain over the whole frequency band of interest. By introducing a slit ring resonator (SRR) in the feedline, a bandstop of 830 MHz from 5.0 to 5.83 GHz for band rejection of wireless local area network (WLAN) can be achieved. So, the proposed antenna is considered a good candidate for future UWB communication systems.
2. Ahmed, O. M. H. and A. R. Sebak, "A novel maple-leaf shaped UWB antenna with a 5.0-6.0 GHz band-notch characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 11, 39-49, 2009.
3. Ahmed, O. M. H. and A. R. Sebak, "A printed monopole antenna with two steps and a circular slot for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 411-413, 2008.
4. Zhang, J.-P., Y.-S. Xu, and W.-D Wang, "Microstrip-fed semi-elliptical dipole antennas for ultrawideband communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 241-244, 2008.
5. Abbosh, A. and M. Bialkowski, "Design of ultra wideband planar monopole antennas of circular and elliptical shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 17-23, 2008.
6. Hsu, C.-H., "Planar multilateral disc monopole antenna for UWB application," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 5, 1101-1103, May 2007.
7. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, Nov. 2005.
8. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M., "Compact UWB bandnotch antenna with transmission-line-FED," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 283-293, 2008.
9. Zhao, Y.-L., Y.-C. Jiao, G. Zhao, L. Zhang, Y. Song, and Z.-B. Wong, "Compact planar monopole UWB antenna with band-notched characteristic," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 10, 2656-2658, Oct. 2008.
10. Hong, C.-Y., C.-W. Ling, I.-Y. Tarn, and S.-J. Chung, "Design of a planar ultrawideband antenna with a new band-notch structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3391-3397, 2007.
11. Ahmed, O. M. H. and A. R. Sebak, "A compact UWB butterfly shaped planar monopole antenna with bandstop characteristic," 13th International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics and the Canadian Radio Sciences Meeting (ANTEM/URSI), 2009.
12. Bi, D. H. and Z. Y. Yu, "Study of dual stopband UWB antenna with U-slot and V-slot DGS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 17-18, 2335-2346, 2008.
13., "HFSS, v10,", Ansoft Corp., 2007.
14., "CST microwave studio,", ver. ver. 2008, Computer Simulation Technology, Framingham, MA, 2008.
doi: --- Either ISSN or Journal title must be supplied.