This article focuses on the development of a high gain, broadband, circularly polarized Electromagnetic Band Gap (EBG) antenna operating at 60 GHz. The designed antenna is configured with a superstrate based on a frequency selective surface (FSS) placed in front of a cross dielectric resonator antenna (XDRA), installed into a ground plane, which acts as an excitation source. A fast Leaky-Wave approach based on transverse equivalent network (TEN) is used to deduce analytical radiation patterns formulas of the proposed antenna. The proposed analytical model was implemented and verified by a comparison with both numerical and experimental results. The reported results showed very satisfactory performances with an achievable impedance bandwidth (S11< -10 dB) of 11.7% from 56 to 63 GHz, an axial-ratio bandwidth (AR<3 dB) of 5.4% from 58.9 to 62.1 GHz and a stable gain of 16.7 dBi within the passband. A good agreement among analytical, numerical and measured results is successfully achieved and falls well within initially set specifications.
2. Yildirim, F., A. S. Sadri, and H. Liu, "Polarization effects for indoor wireless communications at 60 GHz," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 12, No. 9, 660-662, Sep. 2008.
3. Rappaport, T. S., J. Murdock, and F. Gutierrez, "State of the art in 60-GHz integrated circuits and systems for wireless communications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 99, No. 8, 1390-1436, Aug. 2011.
4. Petosa, A. and A. Ittipiboon, "Dielectric resonator antennas: A historical review and the current state of the art," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 91-116, Oct. 2010.
5. Elkarkraoui, T., G. Y. Delisle, N. Hakem, and Y. Coulibaly, "High gain cross DRA antenna array for underground communications," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Memphis, TN, USA, Jul. 6–12, 2014.
6. Vettikalladi, H., O. Lafond, and M. Himdi, "High-gain broad-band superstrate millimeter wave antenna for 60GHz indoor communications," 5th ESA Workshop on Millimeter Wave Technology and Applications and 31st ESA Antenna Workshop at ESTEC, Netherland, May 18–20, 2009.
7. Nasimuddin and K. P. Esselle, "A low-profile compact microwave antenna with high gain and wide bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1880-1883, Jun. 2007.
8. Petosa, A., A. Ittipiboon, Y. M. M. Antar, and D. Roscoe, "Recent advances in dielectric resonator antenna technology," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 40, No. 3, 35-48, Jun. 1998.
9. Lee, M., S.-J. Kim, G. Kwon, C. M. Song, Y. Yang, K.-Y. Lee, and K. C. Hwang, "Circularly polarized semi-eccentric annular dielectric resonator antenna for X-band applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1810-1813, 2015.
10. Chair, R., et al., "Aperture-fed wideband circularly polarized rectangular stair-shaped dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 4, 1350-1352, Apr. 2006.
11. Sulaiman, M. I. and S. K. Khamas, "A singly fed rectangular dielectric resonator antenna with a wideband circular polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 615-618, Jun. 2010.
12. Kaklamani, D., "Full-wave analysis of a Fabry-Perot type resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 13, No. 12, 1627-1634, 1999.
13. Huang, C.-Y., J.-Y. Wu, and K.-L. Wong, "Cross-slot-coupled microstrip antenna and dielectric resonator antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 4, 605-609, 1999.
14. Kumari, R. and R. Kumar, "Circular polarized dielectric resonator antenna: Design and developments," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 86, No. 2, 851-886, Jan. 2016.
15. Himdi, J., P. Daniel, and C. Terret, "Transmission line analysis of aperture coupled microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 25, No. 18, 1229-1230, Aug. 1989.
16. Baba, A. A., M. A. Zakariya, Z. Baharudin, M. Z. U. Rehman, M. F. Ain, and Z. A. Ahmad, "Equivalent lumped-element circuit of aperture and mutually coupled cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 45, 15-31, 2013.
17. Al-Jibouri, Y. B., H. Evans, E. Korolkiewicz, E. G. Lim, A. Sambell, and T. Viasits, "Cavity model of circularly polarised cross-aperture-coupled microstrip antenna," IEE Proceedings: Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 148, No. 3, 147-152, 2001.
18. Haneishi, M. and S. Yoshida, "A design method of circularly polarized rectangular microstrip antenna by one-feed point," Electronics & communications in Japan, Vol. 64, No. 4, 46-54, 1981.
19. Garg, R., B. Prakash, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.
20. Ruan, Y.-F., Y.-X. Guo, and X.-Q. Shi, "Equivalent circuit model of a tri-resonance wideband dielectric resonator antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 6, 1427-1433, 2007.
21. Kishk, A. A., et al., "Numerical analysis of stacked dielectric resonator antennas excited by a coaxial probe for wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1996.
22. Feresidis, A. P. and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "High gain planar antenna using optimized partially reflective surfaces," IEE Proceedings Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 148, No. 6, 345-350, Dec. 2001.
23. Garcia-Vigueras, M., J. L. Gomez-Tornero, G. Goussetis, and A. R. WeilyY. J. Guo, "1D-leaky wave antenna employing parallel-plate waveguide loaded with PRS and HIS," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 10, 3687-3694, 2011.
24. Zhao, T., D. R. Jackson, J. T. Williams, and A. A. Oliner, "General formulas for 2-D leaky-wave antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3525-3533, Nov. 2005.
25. Garcıa-Vigueras, M., J. L. Gomez-Tornero, G. Goussetis, D. Canete-Rebenaque, and A. Alvarez- Melcon, "Software tool for the leaky-mode analysis of waveguides loaded with frequency selective surfaces," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Berlin, Germany, Mar. 23–27, 2009.
26. Kosmas, P., A. P. Feresidis, and G. Goussetis, "Periodic FDTD analysis of a 2-D leaky-wave planar antenna based on dipole frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 7, 2006-2012, 2007.
27. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Array factor approach of leaky/wave antennas and application to 1-D/2-D Composite Right/Left-Handed (CRLH) structures," EEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 6, 274-276, Jun. 2004.
28. Vettikalladi, H., O. Lafond, and M. Himdi, "High-efficient and high-gain superstrate antenna for 60-GHz indoor communication," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 8, 1422-1425, 2009.
29. Perron, A., T. A. Denidni, and A. R. Sebak, "Circularly polarized microstrip/elliptical dielectric ring resonator antenna for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 783-786, Aug. 2010.
30. Bisharat, D. J., S. Liao, and Q. Xue, "Circularly-polarized planar aperture antenna for millimeterwave application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 12, 5316-5324, 2015.
31. Guntupalli, B. and K.Wu, "60-GHz circularly polarized antenna array made in low-cost fabrication process," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 86-867, May 2014.