This paper investigates the design method, characterization, and innovative uncertainty analysis of bandpass (BP) type negative group delay (NGD) passive cell. The lumped passive topology under study consists of a resistor and a passive RLC-series network. The voltage transfer function (VTF) based circuit theory introducing the BP NGD specification analytical expressions is established in function of the R, L and C lumped component parameters. The BP NGD performance is evaluated by figure of merit (FOM) formula. To demonstrate the BP NGD function, the design method was applied to a proof-of-concept (POC) operating at 125-kHz RFID standard center frequency. The BP NGD theory is validated by both AC simulation and measurement of POC and discrete component-based circuit prototype. Experimental BP NGD results in good agreement with calculation and simulation are obtained with NGD value of -36.77 μs, 8% NGD bandwidth, and an attenuation lower than -9.6 dB. Innovative expressions of BP NGD parameter uncertainties are established versus the POC circuit parameters. The BP NGD specification variations are interpreted with respect to the influence of constituting component uncertainties via comparison between the established NGD uncertainty theory and co-simulated sensitivity analyses.
2. Hwang, M.-E., S.-O. Jung, and K. Roy, "Slope interconnect effort: Gate-interconnect interdependent delay modeling for early CMOS circuit simulation," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, Vol. 56, No. 7, 1428-1441, 2008.
3. Groenewold, G., "Noise and group delay in active filters," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, Vol. 54, No. 7, 1471-1480, 2007.
4. Myoung, S.-S., B.-S. Kwon, Y.-H. Kim, and J.-G. Yook, "Effect of group delay in RF BPF on impulse radio systems," IEICE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 90, No. 12, 3514-3522, 2007.
5. Ravelo, B., "Delay modeling of high-speed distributed interconnect for the signal integrity prediction," The European Physical Journal Applied Physics, Vol. 57, No. 3, 31002, 2012.
6. Alves, L. N. and R. L. Aguiar, "A time-delay technique to improve GBW on negative feedback amplifiers," International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, Vol. 36, No. 4, 375-386, 2008.
7. Ahn, K.-P., R. Ishikawa, and K. Honjo, "Group delay equalized UWB InGaP/GaAs HBT MMIC amplifier using negative group delay circuits," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2139-2147, 2009.
8. Ravelo, B., S. Lallechere, A. Thakur, A. Saini, and P. Thakur, "Theory and circuit modeling of baseband and modulated signal delay compensations with low-and band-pass NGD effects," AEU --- Int. J. Electronics Communications, Vol. 70, No. 9, 1122-1127, 2016.
9. Shao, T., Z. Wang, S. Fang, H. Liu, and Z. N. Chen, "A group-delay-compensation admittance inverter for full-passband self-equalization of linear-phase band-pass filter," AEU --- Int. J. Electronics Communications, Vol. 123, 153297-153309, 2020.
10. Xiao, J.-K., Q.-F. Wang, and J.-G. Ma, "Negative group delay circuits and applications: Feedforward ampliers, phased-array antennas, constant phase shifters, non-foster elements, interconnection equalization, and power dividers," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 22, No. 2, 16-32, Feb. 2021.
11. Jeong, Y., H. Choi, and C. D. Kim, "Experimental verification for time advancement of negative group delay in RF electronic circuits," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 4, 306307, 2010.
12. Almahroug, A. A., B. M. Amer, Z. H. M. Fheleboom, S. Rehan, and A. I. A. Omer, "Designing a re ection-type NGD network using open and short shunt stubs for wideband electrically small antennas," Journal of Applied Science, Vol. 1, No. 6, 61-75, Apr. 2021.
13. Zhang, T., R. Xu, and C.-T. M. Wu, "Unconditionally stable non-foster element using active transversal-filter-based negative group delay circuit," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, No. 10, 921-923, 2017.
14. Ravelo, B., M. Le Roy, and A. Perennec, "Application of negative group delay active circuits to the design of broadband and constant phase shifters," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 12, 3077-3080, Dec. 2008.
15. Ravelo, B., A. Perennec, and M. Le Roy, "Synthesis of frequency-independent phase shifters using negative group delay active circuit," Int. J. RFMiCAE, Vol. 21, No. 1, 17-24, Jan. 2011.
16. Ravelo, B., G. Fontgalland, H. S. Silva, J. Nebhen, W. Rahajandraibe, M. Guerin, G. Chan, and F. Wan, "Original application of stop-band negative group delay microwave passive circuit for two-step stair phase shifter designing," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1493-1508, 2022.
17. Ravelo, B., "Distributed NGD active circuit for RF-microwave communication," Int. J. Electronics Communications, Vol. 68, No. 4, 282-290, Apr. 2014.
18. Nebhen, J. and B. Ravelo, "Innovative microwave design of frequency-independent passive phase shifter with LCL-network and bandpass NGD circuit," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 109, 187-203, 2021.
19. Ravelo, B., G. Fontgalland, H. S. Silva, J. Nebhen, W. Rahajandraibe, M. Guerin, G. Chan, and F. Wan, "Original application of stop-band negative group delay microwave passive circuit for two-step stair phase shifter designing," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1493-1508, 2022.
20. Choi, H., Y. Jeong, C. D. Kim, and J. S. Kenney, "Bandwidth enhancement of an analog feedback amplifier by employing a negative group delay circuit," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 253-272, 2010.
21. Choi, H., Y. Jeong, C. D. Kim, and J. S. Kenney, "Efficiency enhancement of feedforward amplifiers by employing a negative group-delay circuit," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1116-1125, 2010.
22. Ravelo, B., F. Wan, J. Nebhen, W. Rahajandraibe, and S. Lallechere, "Resonance effect reduction with bandpass negative group delay fully passive function," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 68, No. 7, 2364-2368, Jul. 2021.
23. Ravelo, B., S. Lallechere, W. Rahajandraibe, and F. Wan, "Electromagnetic cavity resonance equalization with bandpass negative group delay," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1248-1257, Aug. 2021.
24. Segard, B. and B. Macke, "Observation of negative velocity pulse propagation," Physics Letters A, Vol. 109, No. 5, 213-216, 1985.
25. Macke, B. and B. Segard, "Propagation of light-pulses at a negative group-velocity," The European Physical Journal D | Atomic, Molecular, Optical and Plasma Physics, Vol. 23, No. 1, 125-141, 2003.
26. Bukhman, N. S., "On the principle of causality and superluminal signal propagation velocities," Journal of Communications Technology and Electronics, Vol. 66, 227-241, 2021.
27. Eleftheriades, G. V., O. Siddiqui, and A. K. Iyer, "Transmission line models for negative refractive index media and associated implementations without excess resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 2, 51-53, 2003.
28. Siddiqui, O. F., M. Mojahedi, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Periodically loaded transmission line with effective negative refractive index and negative group velocity," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2619-2625, 2003.
29. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "Negative group velocity in a split ring resonator-coupled microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 33-47, 2009.
30. Markley, L. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Quad-band negative-refractive-index transmission-line unit cell with reduced group delay," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 17, 1206-1208, 2010.
31. Liu, G. and J. Xu, "Compact transmission-type negative group delay circuit with low attenuation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 7, 476-478, Feb. 2017.
32. Chaudhary, G. and Y. Jeong, "Low signal-attenuation negative group-delay network topologies using coupled lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 62, No. 10, 2316-2324, 2014.
33. Chaudhary, G., Y. Jeong, and J. Lim, "Microstrip line negative group delay filters for microwave circuits," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 62, No. 2, 234-243, 2014.
34. Choi, H., Y. Jeong, J. Lim, S.-Y. Eom, and Y.-B. Jung, "A novel design for a dual-band negative group delay circuit," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 1, 19-21, 2010.
35. Ahn, K.-P., R. Ishikawa, A. Saitou, and K. Honjo, "Synthesis for negative group delay circuits using distributed and second-order RC circuit configurations," IEICE Trans. Electronics, Vol. 92, No. 9, 1176-1181, 2009.
36. Ravelo, B., "Negative group-delay phenomenon analysis with distributed parallel interconnect line," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 58, No. 2, 573-580, Apr. 2016.
37. Ravelo, B., "Theory on coupled line coupler-based negative group delay microwave circuit," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 64, No. 11, 3604-3611, Nov. 2016.
38. Ravelo, B., "Innovative theory on multiband negative group delay topology based on feedback loop power combiner," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 63, No. 8, 738-742, Aug. 2016.
39. Mitchell, M. W. and R. Y. Chiao, "Causality and negative group delays in a simple bandpass amplifier," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 66, No. 1, 14-19, 1998.
40. Mitchell, M. W. and R. Y. Chiao, "Negative group delay and "fronts" in a causal system: An experiment with very low frequency bandpass amplifiers," Physics Letters A, Vol. 230, No. 3-4, 133-138, 1997.
41. Nakanishi, T., K. Sugiyama, and M. Kitano, "Demonstration of negative group delays in a simple electronic circuit," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 70, No. 11, 1117-1121, 2002.
42. Kitano, M., T. Nakanishi, and K. Sugiyama, "Negative group delay and superluminal propagation: An electronic circuit approach," IEEE J. Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 1, 43-51, 2003.
43. Munday, J. N. and R. H. Henderson, "Superluminal time advance of a complex audio signal," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 85, No. 3, 503-505, 2004.
44. Ravelo, B., "Similitude between the NGD function and filter gain behaviours," International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, Vol. 42, No. 10, 1016-1032, 2014.
45. Ravelo, B., "On the low-pass, high-pass, bandpass and stop-band NGD RF passive circuits," URSI Radio Science Bulletin, Vol. 2017, No. 363, 10-27, Dec. 2017.
46. Yuan, A., S. Fang, Z. Wang, H. Liu, and H. Zhang, "A novel band-stop filter with band-pass, high- pass, and low-pass negative group delay characteristics," Hindawi Int. J. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2021, Article ID 3207652, 1-15, 2021.
47. Yuan, A., S. Fang, Z. Wang, and H. Liu, "A novel multifunctional negative group delay circuit for realizing band-pass, high-pass and low-pass," Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 1742, 1-12, 2021.
48. Ravelo, B., "First-order low-pass negative group delay passive topology," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 2, 124-126, Jan. 2016.
49. Randriatsiferana, R., Y. Gan, F.Wan, W. Rahajandraibe, R. Vauche, N. M. Murad, and B. Ravelo, "Study and experimentation of a 6-dB attenuation low-pass NGD circuit," Analog. Integr. Circ. Sig. Process., 1-14, Apr. 2021.
50. Wan, F., N. Li, B. Ravelo, Q. Ji, B. Li, and J. Ge, "The design method of the active negative group delay circuits based on a microwave amplifier and an RL-series network," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 33849-33858, 2018.
51. Ngoho, S., Y. C. Mombo Boussougou, S. S. Yazdani, Y. Dong, N. M. Murad, S. Lallechere, W. Rahajandraibe, and B. Ravelo, "Design and modelling of ladder-shape topology generating bandpass NGD function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 115, 145-160, 2021.
52. Wan, F., X. Huang, K. Gorshkov, B. Tishchuk, X. Hu, G. Chan, F. E. Sahoa, S. Baccar, M. Guerin, W. Rahajandraibe, and B. Ravelo, "High-pass NGD characterization of resistive-inductive network based low-frequency circuit," COMPEL --- The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 40, No. 5, 1032-1049, 2021.
53. Yang, R., X. Zhou, S. Yazdani, E. Sambatra, F. Wan, S. Lallechere, and B. Ravelo, "Analysis, design and experimentation of high-pass negative group delay lumped circuit," Circuit World, 1-25, Aug. 2021.
54. Fenni, S., F. Haddad, K. Gorshkov, B. Tishchuk, A. Jaomiary, F. Marty, G. Chan, M. Guerin, W. Rahajandraibe, and B. Ravelo, "AC low-frequency characterization of stop-band negative group delay circuit," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 115, 261-276, 2021.
55. Guerin, M., Y. Liu, A. Douyere, G. Chan, F.Wan, S. Lallechere, W. Rahajandraibe, and B. Ravelo, "Design and synthesis of inductorless passive cell operating as stop-band negative group delay function," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, No. 1, 100141-100153, Jul. 2021.