A new circular ultra-wideband fractal monopole antenna based on descartes circle theorem (DCT) with elliptical iterations is presented. The proposed fractal design is optimized for return loss below -15 dB. The basic structure is slightly modified to ensure an overall smooth current distribution limited by the junction point nature of the fractal geometries. The measured return loss of the proposed design is below -15 dB within its impedance bandwidth along with omni-directional radiation pattern. Moreover due to the fractal shape, the proposed design has less weight and wind loading effect.
2. Khan, S. N., X. Jiog, H. Jun, and S. He, "A modified coplanar monopole antenna of circular disk with an ultra wide bandwidth from 2.28 to 38.2 GHz," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 593-598, 2008.
3. Khan, S. N., L. Ti, H. Jun, and S. He, "A diamond like vertical monopole antenna for ultra wieband communication," Microwave and Optical Tech.L ett., Vol. 49, No. 10, 2443-2446, 2008.
4. Ray, K. P., G. Kumar, and P. Anob, "Wideband circular wire mesh and annular ring monopole antennas," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 12, 2459-2461, 2006.
5. Biswas, B. N., G. Rowdra, K. M. Rabindra, and D. R. Poddar, "Characterization of a self complementary Sierpinski gasker mixrostrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, Vol. 2, No. 6, 698-701, 2006.
6. Huang, J. J., F. Q. Shan, and J. Z. She, "A novel multiband and broadband fractal patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, Vol. 57–59, Cambridge, USA, March 26-29.2006.
7. Song, C. T. P., P. S. Hall, G. Shiraz, and K.Wake, "Fractal stacked monopole with very wide bandwidth," Electronics Lett., Vol. 35, No. 12, 945-946, 1999.
8. Biswas, B. N., G. Rowdra, K. M. Rabindra, and D. R. Poddar, "Characterization of a self complementary sierpinski gasker mixrostrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium, Vol. 2, No. 6, 698-701, 2006.
9. Arrighetti, W., P. Cupis, and G. De Gerosa, "Electromagnetic radiation from moving fractal sources: A plane wave spectral approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 1-19, 2006.
10. Taniguchi, T. and T. Kobayashi, "An omnidirectional and low-VSWR antenna for the FCC-approved UWB frequency band," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 460-463, 2003.
11. Oppermann, I., M. Hamalainen, and J. Iinatti, UWB Theory and Applications, Chapter 6, John Wiley and Sons, 2004.
12. Pattnaik, A. and R. K. Mishra, "Some observations about sierpinski fractal patch antenna," Proceedings of the XXVIIIth URSI General Assembly in New Delhi, October 2005.
13. Lagarias, J. C., C. L. Mallows, and A. Wilks, "Beyond the Descartes circle theorem," Amer.Math., Vol. 109, 338-361, 2002.
14. Liu, J. C., D. C. Chang, D. Soong, C. H. Chen, C. Y. Wu, and K. Yao, "Circular fractal antenna approaches with descartes circle theorem for multiband/wideband applications," Microwave and Optical Tech.L ett., Vol. 44, No. 5, 404-408, March 2005.