Improving the performance of a microstrip antenna array has been considered based on the innovative use of an absorbing radar cover.Since the surface wave between antennas array elements plays a major role in mutual coupling and scattering behavior of array antenna. The main objective of this work is to reduce the effect of surface wave between array elements using radar absorbing cover.The absorbing cover has been designed with spatial configuration to get maximum performance at the resonant frequency of the fabricated microstrip antenna array.The measured results of the tested antenna array show a significant reduction of both mutual coupling between array patches and radar cross section of the tested antenna array with minimum side effects on the antenna parameters.
2. Bhattaacharyya, A. K. and L. Shafai, "Surface wave coupling between circular patch antennas," Electronic Letters, Vol. 22, 1198-1200, October 1986.
3. Lechtreck, L. W., "Effects of coupling accumulation in antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. AP-16, 31-37, January 1968.
4. Krusevac, S., P. B. Rapa jic, and R. Kenedy, "Mutual coupling effect on thermal noise in multi-element antenna systems," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2005.
5. Pozar, D. M. and D. H. Schaubert, "Scan blindness in infinite phased arrays of printed dipoles," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. AP-32, 602-610, June 1984.
6. Dubost, G., "Influence of surface wave upon efficiency and mutual coupling between rectangular microstrip antennas," Proceeding IEEE International Symposium Digest on Ant. Prop., Vol. 2, 660663, Dallas (USA), May 1990.
7. Antilla, G. E. and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Surface wave and related effect on the RCS of microstrip dipoles printed on magneto dielectric substrates," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. AP-39, 1707-1715, December 1991.
8. Steyskal, H. and J. S. Herd, "Mutual coupling compensation in small array antennas," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. AP-38, 1971-1975, December 1990.
9. Mailloux, R. J., "On the use of metallized cavities in printed slot array with dielectric substrate," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. AP-35, 477-487, May 1987.
10. Aberle, J. T., "On the use of metallized cavities backing microstrip antennas," IEEE Ant. Prop. Society Symposium, Vol. 1, 60-63, Canada, June 1991.
11. McGahan, R. V. and B. R. Rao, "Electromagnetic backscatter from microstrip arrays: theory and measurement," Phased Array Symposium Proc., RADC-TR-85-171, 23-47, 1985.
12. Jackson, D. R., "A multiple-layer radome for reducing the RCS of microstrip patch,", Vol. 2, 374-377, Dallas (USA), May 1990.
13. Chu, R. S., "Analysis of an infinite phased array of dipole elements with RAM coating on ground plane and covered with layered radome," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. AP-39, 164-176, February 1991.
14. Pozar, D. M., "RCS reduction for a microstrip antenna using a normally biased ferrite substrate," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 2, 196-198, 1991.
15. Shimada, K., K, Ishizuka, and M. Tokuda, "A study of RF absorber for anechoic chambers used in the frequency range for power line communication system," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 5, 2006.
16. Gustafsson, M., "RCS reduction of integrated antenna arrays with resistive sheets," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 27-40, 2006.
17. Zhao, S. C., B. Z. W ang, and Q. Q. He, "Broadband radar cross section reduction of a rectangular patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 263-275, 2008.
18. Sharm, R., T. Chakra vary, S. Bho oshan, and A. B. Bhattacharyya, "Design of a novel 3 dB microstrip backward wave coupler using defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 261-273, 2006.
19. Wu, B., B. Li, T. Su, and C. H. Liang, "Equivalent circuit analysis and low pass filter design of split ring resonator DGS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 4, 1943-1953, 2006.
20. Lagarkov, A. N., V. N. Kisel, and V. N. Semenenko, "Wide angle absorption by the use of a meta-material plate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 35-44, 2008.