The paper describes a novel low profile circularly polarized antenna. The antenna is a single dipole over a particular wire formed panel with high impedance properties. Although the principles of operation for the antenna are general, in this work they are specifically applied to the design and optimization of a FM broadcasting antenna. The distinguishing feature of the design is that it incorporates the following interesting concepts simultaneously: artificial high impedance surfaces or artificial magnetic conductors, materials showing refractive indexes of less than unity (n < 1), and polarizing structures. Another advantageous aspect of the design is the computational efficiency emerging from this fact that the structure is entirely wire made. This way the relevant numerical analysis and optimization can be efficiently carried out by NEC, a one-dimensional (1D) MoM-based EM analyzer.
2. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Reflection phase characterizations of the EBG ground plane for low profile wire antenna applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2691-2703, 2003.
3. Li, Z. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "PBG, PMC, and PEC ground planes: A case study of dipole antennas," IEEE AP-S Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 674-677, July 2000.
4. Mosallaei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Antenna miniaturization and bandwidth enhancement using a reactive impedance substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2403-2414, Sep. 2004.
5. Hosseini, M., A. Pirhadi, and M. Hakkak, "Design of a nonuniform high impedance surface for a low profile antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1455-1464, 2006.
6. Hosseini, M., A. Pirhadi, R. Fallahi, and M. Hakkak, "Bandwidth enhancement of a low profile antenna by applying non-uniformity to its high impedance ground plane," IEEE Mathematical Methods in Electromagnetic Theory, 202-204, Kharkiv, Ukraine, 2006.
7. Poilasne, G., "Antennas on high-impedance ground planes: On the importance of the antenna isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 237-255, 2003.
8. Shaban, H., H. Elmikaty, and A. A. Shaalan, "Study the effects of electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) substrate on two patch microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 10, 55-74, 2008.
9. Hosseini, M. and S. Bashir, "Circularly polarized radiation by a dipole antenna over an innovative artificial ground plane," Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference, 453-456, Loughborough, UK, Mar. 2008.
10. Yang, F. R., K. P. Ma, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A novel TEM waveguide using uniplanar photonic-bandgap (UCPGB) structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2092-2098, Nov. 1999.
11. Hosseini, M., A. Pirhadi, and M. Hakkak, "Compact angularly stable AMCs utilizing skewed cross-shaped FSSs," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 4, 781-786, Apr. 2007.
12. Bin, L., W. Bian, and L. Chang-Hong, "A study on high gain circular waveguide array antenna using metamaterial structure," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology, 249-252, Mar. 2006.
13. Ge, Z. C., W. X. Zhang, Z. G. Liu, and Y. Y. Gu, "Broadband and high-gain printed antennas constructed from Fabry-Perot resonator structure using EBG or FSS cover," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 7, 1272-1274, July 2006.
14. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A low profile single dipole antenna radiating circularly polarized waves," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 9, 3083-3086, 2005.
15. Johnson, R. C. and H. Jasik, Antenna Engineering Handbook, 2nd edition, McGraw-Hill, NY, 1984.
16. Ludwig, A. C., "Wire grid modeling of surfaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 35, No. 9, 1045-1048, 1987.
17. Hosseini, M. and R. Fallahi, "Design of a wideband panel sleeve dipole antenna for FM broadcasting applications," IEEE AP-S Symp., 4683-4686, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, July 2006.
18. Gharavi-Alkhansari, M., "A fast globally optimal algorithm for template matching using low-resolution pruning," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 10, No. 4, 526-533, Apr. 2001.