This paper proposes a novel multi-band monopole antenna for PDA phone. A simple inverted-U-shaped driven element operates frequency bands centered at 1710 and 2350 MHz, which achieve a bandwidth based on 6-dB return loss from 1550 to 2490 MHz sufficient for DCS, PCS, UMTS, and WLAN applications. A low frequency meander path and an impedance matching stub with a truncated slit located at ground plane operates frequency band centered at 910 MHz. The bandwidth from 868 to 995 MHz covers the GSM 900 application band. The design procedures and both simulated and measured results are presented and discussed in this paper.
2. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., S. Saleekaw, P. Akkaraekthalin, and M. Krairiksh, "A rhombic patch monopole antenna with modified minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile WiMax application ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009.
3. Chen, W. S., T. W. Chiou, and K. L. Wong, "Compact PIFA for GSM/DCS/PCS triple-band mobile phone," IEEE AP-S International Symposium and URSI Radio Science Meeting, 528-531, 2002.
4. Kwak, W. I., S. O. Park, and J. S. Kim, "A folded planar inverted-F antenna for GSM/DCS/Bluetooth triple-band application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 5, 18-21, 2006.
5. Wong, K. L., J. H. Chou, C. L. Tang, and S. H. Yeh, "Integrated internal GSM/DCS and WLAN antennas with optimized isolation for a PDA phone ," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 46, 323-326, 2005.
6. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 3500-3504, 2005.
7. Kordzadeh, A. and F. Hodjat-Kashani, "A new reduced size microstrip patch antenna with fractal shaped effects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 29-37, 2009.
8. Huang, C. Y. and P. Y. Chiu, "Dual-band monopole antenna with shorted parasitic element," Electronic Letters, Vol. 41, 1154-1155, 2005.
9. Guha, D., Y. M. M. Antar, A. Ittipiboon, A. Petosa, and D. Lee, "Improved design guidelines for the ultra wideband monopole dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 373-376, 2006.
10. Chen, W. S. and B. Y. Lee, "Novel printed monopole antenna for PDA phone and WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 2073-2088, 2009.