A novel type of wideband SICC filter using TM01 mode coupling by the circular hole between the SICCs is proposed. Of circular symmetry, the TM01 mode in SICC demonstrates the advantages of compact and high flexibility of the filter's input and output setting. In order to validate the new proposed topology, three filter prototypes with different included angle between input and output have been designed and manufactured. The filters exhibit a low insertion loss of -1 dB in the 12.8 to 20 GHz, a wide relative bandwidth of 54.5% at -3 dB, high flexibility and very good agreement with simulation data.
2. Tang, H., W. Hong, J. Chen, G. Q. Luo, and K. Wu, "Development of millimeter-wave planar diplexers based on complementary characters of dual-mode substrate integrated waveguide filters with circular and elliptic cavities," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 4, 776-782, April 2007.
3. Mira, F., J. Mateu, and S. Cogollos, "Design of ultra-wideband substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filters in zigzag topology," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 5, 281-283, May 2009.
4. Shen, W., L. Wu, and X. Sun, "Novel substrate integrated waveguide filters with mixed cross coupling (MCC)," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 11, 701-703, May 2009.
5. Potelon, B., J. Favennec, and C. Quendo, "Design of a substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter using a novel topology of coupling," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 9, 596-598, May 2009.
6. Gu, J., Y. Fan, and Y. Zhang, "A low-loss SICC filter using LTCC technology, for X-band application E," IEEE Conf. On Applied Superconductivity and Electromagnetic Devices, 152-154, 2009.
7. Hao, Z., W. Hong, J. Chen, X. Chen, and K.Wu, "Compact super-wide bandpass substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2968-2977, September 2005.
8. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2 Ed., Wiley, New York, 1998.
9. Accatino, L. and G. Bertin, "Design of coupling Irises between circular cavities by modal analysis," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 7, 1307-1313, July 1994.
10. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001.