A wide open slot antenna with a pair of symmetrical L-strips for dual-band WLAN applications is proposed in this paper. A T-shaped monopole is used to cover 5.15~5.825 GHz. To achieve dual-band characteristic, a pair of symmetrical L-strips is embedded in the wide open U-slot to generate another band covering 2.4~2.48 GHz. The two bands are relatively independent from each other. The proposed antenna has the advantages of simple structure and excellent performance on the WLAN 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz bands. The measured results of the fabricated antenna show that the impedance bandwidths are 150 MHz from 2.37 to 2.52 GHz and 1270 MHz from 4.83 to 6.10 GHz, which cover all the desired operating bands. Furthermore, the antenna design and some significant parametric studies are also described in detail.
2. Liu, W. C., W. R. Chen, and C. M. Wu, "Printed double S-shaped monopole antenna for wideband and multiband operation of wireless communication," IEE Proceedings -- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 151, 473-476, 2004.
3. Liu, W. C., "Optimal design of dualband CPW-fed G-Shaped monopole antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 21-38, 2007.
4. Lin, D.-B., I.-T. Tang, and Y.-Y. Chang, "Flower-like CPW-FED monopole antenna for quad-Band operation of mobile handsets," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17-18, 2271-2278, 2009.
5. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., P. Akkaraekthalin, S. Saleekaw, and M. Krairiksh, "A bidirectional multiband antenna with modified fractal slot FED by CPW," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 59-72, 2009.
6. Sze, J. -Y., T.-H. Hu, and T.-J. Chen, "Compact dual-band annular-ring slot antenna with meandered grounded strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 299-308, 2009.
7. Wang, C.-J. and S. W. Chang, "Studies on dual-band multi-slot antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 293-306, 2008.
8. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Microstrip-fed dual-frequency annular-slot antenna loaded by split-ring-slot," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, 757-764, 2009.
9. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Dual-wideband square slot antenna with a U-shaped printed tuning stub for personal wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 319-333, 2005.
10. Hsieh, C., T. Chiu, and C. Lai, "Compact dual-band slot antenna at the corner of the ground plane," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 3423-3426, 2009.
11. Liu, Z.-Y., Y.-Z. Yin, L.-H. Wen, W.-C. Xiao, Y. Wang, and S.-L. Zuo, "A Y-shaped tri-band monopole antenna with a parasitic M-strip for PCS and WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8-9, 1219-1227, 2010.
12. Sorbello, G., F. Consoli, and S. Barbarino, "Numerical and experimental analysis of a circular slot antenna for UWB communications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, 465-470, 2005.
13. Jang, Y.-W., "Experimental study of a large bandwidth rectangular microstrip-fed circular slot antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 33, 316-318, 2002.
14. Sim, C.-Y.-D., W.-T. Chung, and C.-H. Lee, "Compact slot antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 63-66, 2010.
15. Song, K., Y.-Z. Yin, S.-T. Fan, Y.-Z. Wang, and L. Zhang, "Open L-slot antenna with rotated rectangular patch for bandwidth enhancement," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 25, 2009.
16. Qing, X. and Z. N. Chen, "Compact coplanar waveguide-fed ultra-wideband monopole-like slot antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, 889-898, 2009.
17. Gu, J.-H., S.-S. Zhong, L.-L. Xue, and Z. Sun, "Dual-band monopole antenna with L-shaped strips for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, 2830-2833, 2008.
18. Wu, J.-W., Y.-D. Wang, H.-M. Hsiao, and J.-H. Lu, "T-shaped monopole antenna with shorted L-shaped strip-sleeves for WLAN 2.4/5.8 GHz operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 46, 65-69, 2005.
19. Khunead, G., J. Nakasuwan, N. Songthanapitak, and N. Anantrasirichai, "Investigate rectangular slot antenna with L-shaped strip," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1076-1079, 2007.