The frequency shift of the transfer function of single layer composite materials has been analyzed and tested. The effects are studied by means of planar pseudo-elliptical filters in Ka waveguide. The filters, consisting of a frequency selective surface placed perpendicularly to the waveguide axis, have been realized by a high resolution photolithographic technique. Deviations of the experimental transfer functions from the simulation are analyzed with particular emphasis to the effect of metal thickness. The finite thickness of the metal constituting the frequency selective surface causes a shift of the transfer function towards high frequencies (blueshift), attributed to dipole-dipole interaction in the metal layer. Such an effect is only partially predicted by full wave analysis based on finite element method. The increase of the thickness determines a reduction of the attenuation for thickness values between 10 and 100 skin depths.
2. Ohira, M., H. Deguchi, M. Tsuji, and H. Shigesawa, "Novel waveguide filters with multiple attenuation poles dual-behavior resonance of frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3320-3326, 2005.
3. Zhang, J.-C., Y.-Z. Yin, and J.-P. Ma, "Design of narrow band-pass frequency selective surfaces for millimeter wave applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 287-298, 2009.
4. Islam, S., J. Stiens, G. Poesen, R. Vounckx, J. Peeters, I. Bogaert, D. De Zutter, and W. De Raedt, "Simulation and experimental verification of w-band finite frequency selective surfaces on infinite background with 3D full wave solver NSPWMLFMA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 189-202, 2010.
5. Aydin, K., I. M. Pryce, and H. A. Harry Atwater, "Symmetry breaking and strong coupling in planar optical metamaterials," Optics Express, Vol. 18, No. 13, 13407-13417, 2010.
6. Aydin, K., I. M. Pryce, and H. A. Atwater, "Symmetry breaking and coupling effects in near-infrared metamaterials," Metamaterials --- From Modeling and Fabrication to Application, Materials Research Society, Symposium Proceedings Series, Vol. 1223E, 2009.
7. Padilla, W. J., A. J. Taylor, C. Highstrete, M. Lee, and R. D. Averitt, "Dynamical electric and magnetic metamaterial response at terahertz frequencies," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 96, 107401, 2006.
8. Zhang, S., W. Fan, N. C. Panoiu, K. J. Malloy, R. M. Osgood, and S. R. J. Brueck, "Experimental demonstration of near-infrared negative-index metamaterials," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 95, 137404, 2005.
9. Collin, R., Foundations of Microwave Engineering, 2nd Edition, IEEE Press, New York, 2001.
10. Goussetis, G. and D. Budimir, "Novel periodically loaded E-plane filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 6, 193-195, Jun. 2003.
11. Seager, R. D., J. C. Vardaxoglou, and D. S. Lockyer, "Close coupled resonant aperture inserts for waveguide filtering applications," IEEE Microwave & Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 11, No. 3, 112-114, 2001.
12. Smith, S. L., "Mass-producible E-plane millimeter wave filters," Workshop on the Applications of Radio Science, Leura, NSW Australia, Feb. 20-22, 2002.
13. Monorchio, A., G. Manara, U. Serra, G. Marola, and E. Pagana, "Design of waveguide filters by using genetically optimized frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 15, No. 6, 407-409, 2005.
14. Manara, G., A. Monorchio, and R. Mittra, "Frequency selective surface design based on genetic algorithm," Electronic Letters, Vol. 35, No. 17, 1400-1401, 1999.
15. Amabile, C., F. Costa, A. Monorchio, and E. Prati, "Analysis and design of coupled frequency selective surfaces as a novel kind of waveguide filter," Metamaterials' 2007 International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics, Oct. 22-26, 2007.
16. Biber, S., M. Bozzi, O. Gunther, L. Perregrini, and L.-P. Schmidt, "Design and testing of frequency selective surfaces on thick silicon substrate operating at 600 GHz," Proc. of the 35th European Microwave Conference, Vol. 1, Oct. 4-6, 2006.
17. Luebbers, R. and B. Munk, "Analysis of thick, rectangular waveguide windows with finite conductivity," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 21, No. 7, 461-468, 1973.
18. Govindaswamy, S., J. East, F. Terry, E. Topsakal, J. L. Volakis, and G. I. Haddad, "Frequency-selective surface based bandpass filters in the near-infrared region," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 266-269, 2004.
19. MacDonald, M. E., A. Alexanian, R. A. Yorfk, Z. Popovic, and E. N. Grossman, "Spectral transmittance of lossy printed resonant grid terahertz band pass filters," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 48, No. 4, 712-718, 2000.
20. Rechberger, W., A. Hohenau, A. Leitner, J. R. Krenn, B. Lamprecht, and F. R. Aussenegg, "Optical properties of two interacting gold nanoparticles," Optics Communications, Vol. 220, 137-141, 2003.
21. Bozzi, M., M. Montagna, and L. Perregrini, "MoM/BI-RME modeling of frequency selective surfaces with thick metal patches," International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, ICEAA '09, 327-330, 2009.
22. Webb, D. B., E. Michielssen, and R. Mittra, "Thick frequency selective surfaces," Antennas and Propagation International Symposium, Vol. 4, 1795-1798, Chicago, USA, 1992.