In this paper, a novel compact microstrip-fed ultra-wideband (UWB) step-slot antenna with a rotated patch is demonstrated and experimentally studied. With an effective combination of the step-slot and rotated patch and proper dimensions, bandwidth enhancement for UWB operation is obtained. From the simulated and measured results, the enhanced impedance bandwidth is brought up to about 117.5% from 2.88 to 11.08 GHz defined by 10 dB return loss. Details of the proposed antenna are described, and experimental results are presented and discussed.
2. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. Geran, and G. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.
3. Dastranj, A., A. Imani, and M. Naser-Moghaddasi, "Printed wide-slot antenna for wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 10, 3097-3102, 2008.
4. Guo, L., S. Wang, Y. Gao, Z. Wang, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of printed quasi-self-complementary antenna for ultra-wideband systems," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 8, 511-512, 2008.
5. Lin, S.-Y. and B.-J. Ke, "Ultrawideband printed patch antenna in notch," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2080-2084, 2009.
6. Wang, H., H. Zhang, X. Liu, and K. Huang, "A CPW-fed ultra-wideband planar inverted cone antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 101-112, 2010.
7. Latif, S. I., L. Shafai, and S. K. Sharma, "Bandwidth enhancement and size reduction of microstrip slot antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 3, 994-1003, 2005.
8. Chen, W. S. and K. Y. Ku, "Broadband design of non-symmetric ground λ/4 open slot antenna with small size," Microwave Journal, Vol. 50, 110-121, 2007.
9. Lin, Y.-C. and K.-J. Hung, "Compact ultra-wideband rectangular aperture antenna and band-notched designs," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3075-3081, 2006.
10. Chen, D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
11. Chen, W. L., G. M. Wang, and C. X. Zhang, "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip-line-fed printed wide-slot antenna with a fractal-shaped slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 7, 2176-2179, 2009.
12. Song, K., Y.-Z. Yin, and L. Zhang, "A novel monopole antenna with a self-similar slot for wideband applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 1, 95-97, 2010.
13. Kim, H. and C.-W. Jung, "Bandwidth enhancement of CPW fed tapered slot antenna with multi-transformation characteristics," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 15, 1050-1051, 2010.