A new planar engineered material structure, which has multiple Fano resonances at the terahertz range of frequency, is presented. Starting with a double Fano resonance structure, it is shown that by considering several unit cells as a larger unit cell and creating new asymmetries in the super-cell, we can have five Fano resonances in one structure. Analysis of current distributions at resonance frequencies clarifies the origin of different resonances. We show that all of these resonances come from different arrangement of magnetic dipoles.
2. Singh, R., C. Rockstuhl, F. Lederer, and W. Zhang, "Coupling between a dark and a bright eigenmode in a terahertz metamaterial," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, No. 8, 085111, 2009.
3. Singh, R., I. A. I. Al-Naib, M. Koch, and W. Zhang, "Sharp Fano resonances in THz metamaterials," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, No. 7, 6312-6319, 2011.
4. Xiao, X., J.Wu, F. Miyamaru, M. Zhang, S. Li, M. W. Takeda, W. Wen, and P. Sheng, "Fano effect of metamaterial resonance in terahertz extraordinary transmission," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 98, No. 1, 011911, 2011.
5. Cao, W., R. Singh, I. A. I. Al-Naib, M. He, A. J. Taylor, and W. Zhang, "Low-loss ultra-high-Q dark mode plasmonic Fano metamaterials," Opt. Lett., Vol. 37, No. 16, 3366-3368, 2012.
6. Miroshnichenko, A. E., S. Flach, and Y. S. Kivshar, "Fano resonances in nanoscale structures," Rev. Mod. Phys., Vol. 82, No. 3, 2257-2298, 2010.
7. Hao, F., Y. Sonnefraud, P. V. Dorpe, S. A. Maier, N. J. Halas, and P. Nordlander, "Symmetry breaking in plasmonic nanocavities: Subradiant LSPR sensing and a tunable Fano resonance," Nano Lett., Vol. 8, 3983-3988, 2008.
8. Lukyanchuk, B., N. I. Zheludev, S. A. Maier, N. J. Halas, P. Nordlander, H. Giessen, and C. T. Chong, "The Fano resonance in plasmonic nanostructures and metamaterials," Nat. Mater., Vol. 9, 707-715, 2010.
9. Giannini, V., Y. Francescato, H. Amrania, C. C. Phillips, and S. A. Maier, "Fano resonances in nanoscale plasmonic systems: A parameter-free modeling approach," Nano Lett., Vol. 11, No. 7, 2835-2840, 2011.
10. Chen, Y. T., R. L. Chern, and H. Y. Lin, "Multiple Fano resonances in metallic arrays of asymmetric dual stripes," Appl. Opt., Vol. 49, 2819-2826, 2010.
11. Liu, S.-D., Z. Yang, R.-P. Liu, and X.-Y. Li, "Multiple Fano resonances in plasmonic heptamer clusters composed of split nanorings," ACS Nano, Vol. 6, No. 7, 6260-6271, 2012.
12. Liu, S. D., M. J. Zhang, W. J. Wang, and Y. C. Wang, "Tuning multiple Fano resonances in plasmonic pentamer clusters," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 102, 133105, 2013.
13. Zhang, J. and A. Zayats, "Multiple Fano resonances in single-layere nonconcentric core-shell nanostructures," Opt. Express, Vol. 21, No. 7, 8426-8436, 2013.
14. Wang, J., C. Fan, J. He, P. Ding, E. Liang, and Q. Xue, "Double Fano resonance due to interplay of electric and magnetic plasmon modes in planar plasmonic structure with high sensing sensitivity," Opt. Express, Vol. 21, No. 2, 2236-2244, 2013.
15. Born, N., I. Al-Naib, C. Jansen, T. Ozaki, R. Morandotti, and M. Koch, "Excitation of multiple trapped-eigenmodes in terahertz metamolecule lattices," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 104, 101107, 2014.