The configuration of a new circularly polarized microstrip antenna with omnidirectional radiation pattern for GPS-L1 application is proposed in this paper. The designed antenna has a back-to-back rectangular-patch structure, and two patches are fed by coaxial cable connected with a Wilkinson power divider. The horizontal omnidirectional radiation pattern was achieved by both simulation and measurement. Axial ratio in the peak gain plane was around 3 dB ranging from 1.5 dB to 3.6 dB. The variation of RHCP gain in the horizontal omnidirectional circular polarization plane was smaller than ±1 dBic. And peak RHCP gain of the designed antenna was about 2.3 dBic.
2. Wu, D. I., "Omnidirectional circularly-polarized conformal microstrip array for telemetry applications," AP-S. Digest Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 998-1005, 1995.
3. Narbudowicz, A. Z., X. L. Bao, and M. J. Ammann, "Bidirectional circularly polarized microstrip antenna for GPS applications," 2010 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 205-208, Loughborough, UK, Nov. 8–9, 2010.
4. Ammann, M. J., X. L. Bao, and A. Narbudowicz, "Circularly polarized terminal antennas for emerging wireless system," 2012 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 1-5, Loughborough, UK, Nov. 12–13, 2012.
5. Lwasaki, H. and N. Chiba, "Circularly polarized back-to-back microstrip antenna with an omnidirectional pattern," IEE Proc. — Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 146, No. 4, 277-281, Aug. 1999.
6. Narbudowicz, A., X. L. Bao, and M. J. Ammann, "Omnidirectional circularly-polarised microstrip patch antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 11, 614-615, May 24, 2012.
7. Narbudowicz, A., X. Bao, M. Ammann, H. Shakhtour, and D. Heberling, "Circularly polarized antenna with steerable dipole-like radiation pattern," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 2, 519-526, Feb. 2014.