In this paper, we present an efficient formulation of the novel weakly conditionally stable finite-difference time-domain (NWCS-FDTD) method for the electromagnetic problems with very fine structures in one or two directions. The formulation is obtained by using only algebraic manipulation of the original method, and therefore the numerical stability and dispersion properties can be preserved. Moreover, due to its simpler right-hand sides of the updating equations, the proposed algorithm is more efficient than the existing WCS-FDTD methods, allowing a significant reduction in the cost of CPU time. Numerical experiments are finally given to verify the accuracy and efficiency of the proposed method.
2. Namiki, T., "A new FDTD algorithm based on alternating-direction implicit method," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 10, 2003-2007, Oct. 1999.
3. Zheng, F., Z. Chen, and J. Zhang, "A finite-difference time-domain method without the courant stability conditions," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 9, No. 11, 441-443, Nov. 1999.
4. Yuan, C. and Z. Chen, "A three-dimensional unconditionally stable ADI-FDTD method in the cylindrical coordinate system," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 10, 2401-2405, Oct. 2002.
5. Shibayama, J., M. Muraki, J. Yamauchi, and H. Nakano, "Efficient implicit FDTD algorithm based on locally one-dimensional scheme," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 19, 1046-1047, Sep. 2005.
6. Tan, E. L., "Unconditionally stable LOD-FDTD method for 3-D Maxwell’s equations," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 2, 85-87, Feb. 2007.
7. Ahmed, I., E. Chan, E. Li, and Z. Chen, "Development of the three dimensional unconditionally stable LOD-FDTD method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 11, 3596-3600, Nov. 2008.
8. Lee, J. and B. Fornberg, "A split step approach for the 3-D Maxwell’s equations," J. Comput. Appl. Math., Vol. 158, 485-505, Sep. 2003.
9. Lee, J. and B. Fornberg, "Some unconditionally stable time stepping methods for the 3D Maxwell’s equations," J. Comput. Appl. Math., Vol. 166, 497-523, Mar. 2004.
10. Chen, J. and J. Wang, "A novel WCS-FDTD method with weakly conditional stability," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 49, No. 2, 419-426, 2007.
11. Chen, J. and J. Wang, "A novel body-of-revolution finite-difference time-domain method with weakly conditional stability," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 6, 377-379, 2008.
12. Wang, J., B. Zhou, L. Shi, C. Gao, and B. Chen, "A novel 3-D weakly conditional stability FDTD algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 525-540, 2012.
13. Tan, E. L., "Efficient algorithm for the unconditionally stable 3-D ADI-FDTD method," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 1, 7-9, 2007.
14. Tan, E. L., "Fundamental schemes for efficient unconditionally stable implicit finite-difference time-domain methods," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 170-177, 2008.