An improved Taguchi's method (ITM) is proposed in this paper. The dynamic reduced rate function linked with the contributions of each parameter is used to increase the convergence speed. An extra procedure is added in the ITM to determine whether the experiment results in orthogonal array meet the termination criterion which is neglected in the traditional Taguchi's method (TM). Three experiments, including the syntheses of linear arrays and the designs of an E-shaped antenna and an ultra-wide band monopole, are conducted to investigate the performance of the proposed method, and the results are compared with those of traditional TM and other meta-heuristic methods. The results show that the same or even better results are obtained by the improved TM with fast convergence speed.
2. Weng, W. C., F. Yang, and A. Elsherbini, Electromagnetics and Antenna Optimization Using Taguchi’s Method, Morgan & Claypool, San Rafael, CA, 2007.
3. Dib, N. I., S. K. Goudos, and H. Muhsen, "Application of Taguchi’s optimization method and self-adaptive differential evolution to the synthesis of linear antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 159-180, 2010.
4. Ghayoula, E., A. Bouallegue, N. Fadlallah, R. Ghayoula, and A. Smida, "Concentric ring array synthesis using Taguchi algorithm for MIMO applications," 2017 International Conference on Control Automation and Diagnosis (ICCAD), 373-378, Hammamet, Tunisia, Aug. 2017.
5. Weng, W. C., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Electromagnetic optimization using Taguchi’s method: A case study of band pass filter design," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Honolulu, HI, Jun. 2007.
6. Sorgdrager, A. J., R. Wang, and A. J. Grobler, "Multiobjective design of a line-start PM motor using the taguchi method," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 54, No. 5, 4167-4176, Sept. 2018.
7. Roy, R., A Primer on the Taguchi Method, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, USA, 1990.
8. Bayraktar, Z., P. L. Werner, and D. H. Werner, "Miniaturization of stochastic linear phased arrays via orthogonal design initialization and a hybrid particle swarm optimizer," 2006 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 3531-3534, Albuquerque, NM, 2006.
9. Bayraktar, Z., M. Komurcu, J. A. Bossard, and D. H. Werner, "The wind driven optimization technique and its application in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 5, 2745-2757, May 2013.
10. Goudos, S. K., K. Siakavara, T. Samaras, E. E. Vafiadis, and J. N. Sahalos, "Self-adaptive differential evolution applied to real-valued antenna and microwave design problems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1286-1298, Apr. 2011.
11. Mahmoud, K. R., "UWB antenna using gravitational search algorithm," Journal of Engineering Sciences, Vol. 41, No. 5, Faculty of Engineering, Assiut University, Sept. 2013.