The paper is devoted to the investigation of radiation frequencies characteristics of a modified waveguide aperture by wire media (WM). Such construction allows radiating weak electromagnetic (EM) waves --- the frequencies of which are non-corresponding to the resonant ones of the modified radiator. It is possible due to the unusual properties of metamaterials, namely the negative value of permittivity of WM. The simulation studying shows that the changing of value of wires radius and at the same time the value of filling factor impacts on the radiation frequency. Therefore, the increase of filling factor leads to the increase of the resonance frequency. The radiation is narrowband with S11-parameter less than -20 dB. The experimental investigation shows that the decrease of the value of lattice period allows increase of the width of radiation frequency range from 30-40 MHz up to approximately 80 MHz at the level of 0.3 (≈ -10 dB). At the same time, the increase of wires' radius values leads to the increase of the value of resonant frequency. Finally, the experimental study demonstrates that the value of overlap between waveguide port (source of EM waves) and wire media sample negligibly impacts on the resonance frequency values and operational range for D/L = 0...0.3.
2. Mirmoosa, M. S., Wire media for enhancement of radiative heat transfer and spontaneous emission, Doctoral Thesis in Aalto University, Espoo, Finland, 2017.
3. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Low frequency plasmons in thin wire structures," Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, Vol. 10, 4785-4788, 1998.
4. Simovski, C. R. and P. A. Belov, "Low-frequency spatial dispersion in wire media," Physical Review E, Vol. 70, 046616(1-8), 2004.
5. Belov, P. A., S. A. Tretyakov, and A. J. Viitanen, "Dispersion and reflection properties of artificial media formed by regular lattices of ideally conducting wires," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 16, 1153-1170, 2002.
6. Belov, P. A., R. Marques, S. I. Maslovski, I. S. Nefedov, M. Silverinha, C. R. Simovski, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Strong spatial dispersion in wire media in the very large wavelength limit," Physical Review B, Vol. 67, 113103(1–4), 2003.
7. Yakovlev, A. B., M. G. Silveirinha, G. W. Hanson, and Ch. S. R. Kaipa, "An equivalent ABCD-matrix formalism for non-local wire media with arbitrary terminations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 3, 1786-1798, 2020.
8. Vovchuk, D., S. Kosulnikov, I. S. Nefedov, S. A. Tretyakov, and C. R. Simovski, "Multi-mode broadband power transfer through a wire medium slab," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 154, 171-180, 2015.
9. Kosulnikov, S., Wire media for broadband enhancement of radiation and power transfer, Doctoral Thesis in Aalto University, Espoo, Finland, 2017.
10. Kosulnikov, S. Yu., M. S. Mirmoosa, D. A. Vovchuk, S. A. Tretyakov, S. B. Glybovski, and C. R. Simovski, "Enhancement of radiation with irregular wire media," IEEE Transactions an Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 12, 5469-5474, 2016.
11. Pumipong, D., M. Piyaporn, and W. Rangsan, "Creating a gain enhancement technique for a conical horn antenna by adding a wire medium structure at the aperture," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 16, No. 2, 134-142, 2016.
12. Kampeephat, S., W. Wiboonjaroen, P. Kamphikul, and W. Sarikha, "Increasing the gain of a quarter wave monopole antenna with a vertical wire medium structure," 17th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON), 824-827, 2020.
13. Comite, D., P. Baccarelli, P. Burghignoli, and A. Galli, "Wire-medium loaded planar structures: Modal analysis, near fields, and radiation features," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 8, No. 4–5, 713-722, 2016.
14. Kosulnikov, S. Yu., E. A. Yankovskaya, S. I. Maslovski, P. A. Belov, and Yu. S. Kivshar, "Optimal filling factor of nanorod lenses for subwavelength imaging," Physical Review A, Vol. 84, 065801(1–4), 2011.
15. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2012.
16. Meng, F., Q. Wu, J. Wu, and L. Li, "Analysis and calculation of effective permittivity for a left-handed metamaterial," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, 1-4, Suzhou, 2005.
17. Weng, Z.-B., Y.-C. Jiao, G. Zhao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Design and experiment of one dimension and two dimension metamaterial structures for directive emission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 199-209, 2007.
18. Rosa, E. B. and F. W. Grover, Formulas and Tables for the Calculation of Mutual and Self-inductance, US Government Printing Office, Washington, 1948.
19. Grover, F. W., Inductance Calculations, USA Dover Publications Inc., Washington, 2004.
20. Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, Wiley, NJ, 1975.