A new wideband 3-dB tandem coupler is presented that has wide bandwidth using four 90° short stubs. The proposed tandem coupler does not require a higher transmission line impedance or a narrower coupling gap than conventional couplers. Measurements of the fabricated tandem coupler operated at a center frequency of f0 = 1 GHz are presented as verification of the design concept. The fractional bandwidth (FBW) at which the return loss is suppressed to a level better than 15 dB was 71%. Theoretical calculations and measurements of the tandem coupler were in good agreement
2. Yoon, H.-J. and B.-W. Min, "Two section wideband 90◦ hybrid coupler using parallel-coupled three-line," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 27, No. 6, 548-550, Jun. 2017.
3. Pon, C. Y., "Hybrid-ring directional coupler for arbitrary power divisions," IRE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 9, No. 6, 529-535, Nov. 1961.
4. Wilkinson, E. J., "An N-way hybrid power divider," IRE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 8, No. 1, 116-118, Jan. 1960.
5. Lange, J., "Interdigitated strip-line quadrature hybrid," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 17, 1150-1151, Dec. 1969.
6. Han, L., K. Wu, and X. Chen, "Accurate synthesis of four-line interdigitated coupler," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2444-2455, Oct. 2009.
7. Chang, C., J. Chiu, H. Chiu, and Y. Wang, "A 3-dB quadrature coupler using broadside-coupled coplanar waveguides," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 3, 191-193, Mar. 2008.
8. Cho, J.-H., H.-Y. Hwang, and S.-W. Yun, "A design of wideband 3-dB coupler with N-section microstrip tandem structure," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 2, 113-115, Feb. 2005.
9. Tang, C., C. Tseng, and K. Hsu, "Design of the modified planar tandem couplers with a wide passband," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 61, No. 1, 48-54, Jan. 2013.
10. Hayes, R. E., J. W. Gipprich, and M. G. Hershfeld, "A stripline re-entrant coupler network for cofired multilayer microwave circuits," IEEE S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 801-804, 1996.