We investigate the dispersion properties of both TE and TM surface polariton modes formed at the surfaces of a bilayer composed of a single-negative materials. The dispersion curves of surface polaritons modes is found to consist of two branches, and it is shown that TE and TM surface polaritons may have a simultaneous mode. The characteristics of TE and TM surface polaritons modes (the frequency, localization position, ...) are shown to depend on the relative thicknesses of two single-negative layers of the bilayer. We find that the TE and TM surface polariton modes propagate in the same directions along the interfaces of the bilayer in the most cases. Nevertheless, the TE and TM surface polariton modes may have opposite directions of propagation for appropriate thicknesses of two single-negative layers. This can be interesting especially in the case of simultaneous TE and TM surface polariton mode, for which the structure acts as a polarizing beam splitter.
2. Oliner, A. A., "A periodic-structure negative-refractive-index medium without resonant elements," IEEE-APS/URSI Int'l Symp. Digest, 41, June 2002.
3. Sanada, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Characteristics of the composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, 68-70, 2004.
4. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Transmission line approach of left-handed (LH) materials and microstrip implementation of an artificial LH transmission line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, 1159-1166, 2004.
5. Okabe, H., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "A compact enhanced-bandwidth hybrid ring using a left-handed transmission line," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, 798-804, 2004.
6. Ding, W., L. Chen, and C.-H. Liang, "Characteristics of electromagnetic wave propagation in biaxially anisotropic left-handed materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 70, 37-52, 2007.
7. Chen, L., W. Ding, X. J. Dang, and C. H. Liang, "Counter-propagating energy-flows in nonlinear left-handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 70, 257-267, 2007.
8. Xu, W., L. W. Li, H. Y. Yao, T. S. Yeo, and Q. Wu, "Left-handed material effects on waves modes and resonant frequencies: Filled waveguide structures and substrate-loaded patch antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 15, 2033-2047, 2005.
9. Grzegorczyk, T. M. and J. A. Kong, "Review of left-handed metamaterials: Evolution from theoretical and numerical studies to potential applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2053-2064, 2006.
10. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics USPEKI, Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968.
11. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001.
12. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
13. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, 4773-4776, 1996.
14. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Application of the transmission line theory of left-handed (LH) materials to the realization of a microstrip LH line," IEEE-APS Int'l Symp. Digest, Vol. 2, 412-415, 2002.
15. Lin, I. H., M. DeVincentis, C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Arbitrary duad-band components using composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 52, 1142-1149, 2004.
16. Liang, L., B. Li, S.-H. Liu, and C.-H. Liang, "A study of using the double negative structure to enhance the gain of rectangular waveguide antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 65, 275-286, 2006.
17. Hamid, A.-K., "Axially slotted antenna on a circular or elliptic cylinder coated with metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 51, 329-341, 2005.
18. Sharma, R., T. Chakravarty, S. Bhooshan, and A. B. Bhattacharyya, "Design of a novel 3 dB microstrip backward wave coupler using defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 65, 261-273, 2006.
19. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Guided modes in a waveguide filled with a pair of single-negative (SNG), double-negative (DNG), and/or double-positive (DPS) layers," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, 199-210, 2004.
20. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Pairing an epsilon-negative slab with a mu-negative slab: Anomalous tunneling and transparency," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 2558-2570, 2003.
21. Dai, X.-W., M. Yao, X.-J. Dang, and C.-H. Liang, "Transparency of a pair of epsilon-negative slab and mu-negative slab," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 69, 237-246, 2007.
22. Bilotti, F., A. Alu, N. Engheta, and L. Vegni, "Anomalous properties of scattering from cavities partially loaded with double-negative or single-negative metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 51, 49-63, 2005.
23. Agranovich, V. M. and D. L. Mills, Surface Polaritons: Electromagnetic Waves at Surfaces and Interfaces, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1982.
24. McGilp, J. F., D. Weaire, and C. H. Patterson, Epioptics: Linear and Nonlinear Optical Spectroscopy of Surfaces and Interfaces, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1995.
25. Raether, H., Surface Plasmons, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 1988.
26. Camley, R. E. and D. L. Mills, "Surface polaritons on uniaxial antiferromagnets," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 26, 1280-1287, 1982.
27. Ruppin, R., "Surface polaritons of left-handed medium," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 277, 61-64, 2000.
28. Ruppin, R., "Surface polaritons of left-handed material slab," J. Phys: Condens. Matter, Vol. 13, 1811-1819, 2001.
29. Bespyatykh, Y. I., A. S. Bugaev, and I. E. Dikshtein, "Surface polaritons in composite media with time dispersion of permittivity and permeability," Phys. Sol. State, Vol. 43, 2043-2047, 2001.
30. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Low frequency plasmons in thin-wire structures," J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, Vol. 10, 4785-4809, 1998.
31. Pendry, J. B., "Negative refraction makes a perfect lens," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 85, 3966-3969, 2000.
32. Yeh, P., A. Yariv, and C. S. Hong, , Vol. 67, 423, J. Opt. Soc. Am., 1977.
33. Otto, A., "Excitation of nonradiative surface plasma waves in silver by the method of frustrated total reflection," Z. Phys., Vol. 216, 398-410, 1968.
34. Shadrivov, I. V., R. W. Ziolkowski, A. A. Zharov, and Y. S. Kivshar, "Excitation of guided waves in layered structures with negative refraction," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, 481-492, 2005.
35. Dragila, R., B. Luther-Davies, and S. Vukovic, "High transparency of classically opaque metallic films," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 55, 1117-1120, 1985.
36. Vukovic, S. M., N. B. Aleksic, and D. V. Timotijevic, "Anomalous lateral beam shift and total absorption due to excitation of surface waves in materials with negative refraction," Eur. Phys. J. D, Vol. 39, 295-301, 2006.
37. Galli, M., D. Bajoni, M. Patrini, G. Guizzetti, D. Gerace, L. C. Andreani, M. Belotti, and Y. Chen, "Excitation of radiative and evanescent defect modes in linear photonic crystal waveguides," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 70, 081307-4, 2004.
38. Galli, M., M. Belotti, D. Bajoni, M. Patrini, G. Guizzetti, D. Gerace, M. Agio, L. C. Andreani, and Y. Chen, "Single-mode versus multimode behavior in silicon photonic crystal waveguides measured by attenuated total reflectance," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 72, 125322-10, 2005.