In 1-D photonic crystal with structural defects, localized mode results in strong electromagnetic fields around the position of the defect. Thus, the strong fields enhance the tangential force on a lossy dielectric layer, as well as normal force on the perfect dielectric slab. The results of this study suggest a class of micro-machines driven by electromagnetic wave, such as sunlight or microwave.
2. Ashkin, A. and J. M. Dziedzic, "Optical trapping and manipulation of viruses and bacteria," Science, Vol. 235, No. 4795, 1517-1520, 1987.
3. Higurashi, E., O. Ohguchi, T. Tamamura, H. Ukita, and R. Sawada, "Optically induced rotation of dissymmetrically shaped fluorinated polyimide micro-objects in optical traps," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 82, No. 6, 2773-2779, Sep. 15, 1997.
4. Gomez-Medina, R., P. San Jose, A. Garcia-Martin, M. Lester, M. Nieto-Vesperinas, and J. J. Saenz, "Resonant radiation pressure on neutral particles in a waveguide," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 86, No. 19, 4275-4277, May 7, 2001.
5. Mizrahi, A., "Torque and longitudinal force exerted by eigenmodes on circular waveguides," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 78, 023802, 2008.
6. Povinelli, M. L., M. Ibanescu, S. G. Johnson, and J. D. Joannopoulos, "Slow-light enhancement of radiation pressure in an omnidirectional-reflector waveguide," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 85, 1466, 2004.
7. Sajeev, J., "Localization of light," Physics Today --- May, Vol. 44, No. 5, 32-40, 1991.
8. Soljacic, M. and J. D. Joannopoulos, "Enhancement of nonlinear effects using photonic crystals," Nature Materials, Vol. 3, 211-219, 2004.
9. Macleod, H. A., Thin Film Optical Filters, 3rd Ed., 38-45, Institute of Physics Pub., 2001.
10. Kemp, B. A., T. M. Graegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Ab initio study of the radiation pressure on dielectric and magnetic media," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, No. 23, 9280-9291, 2005.
11. Mizrahi, A. and L. Schachter, "Electromagnetic forces on the dielectric layers of the planar optical Bragg acceleration structure," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 74, 036504, 2006.
12. Liu, Q. N., "A new method of study the defect mode of one-dimensional photonic crystal," Laser and Infrared, Vol. 38, No. 8, 799-801, Aug. 2008.