Relationships between the properties of surface waves in radar absorbing materials (RAM) layers and mono-static radar cross section reduction (RCSR) performances of a coated slab are studied. In this paper, two kinds of RAM were employed for double-layer coating. By changing the thickness of each layer and the order of RAMs, mono-static RCSR performances of the coated slab are studied. Simultaneously mono-static RCSR performances of a slab coated with equivalent medium of the considered RAMs in situ are calculated and compared with the previous ones in regard to the properties of surface waves. It is found that surface waves in between layers for various coated projects can be evaluated. Our results suggest that the optimal coated order for RAMs exists, and the method may be efficient for coating strategy with various kinds of RAMs. Electromagnetic scatterings of the equivalent medium exclude the effect of surface waves in between layers. Therefore, the equivalent medium theory is not appropriated for the research of electromagnetic scattering on lossy mediums.
2. Hu, X.-J. and D.-B. Ge, "Study on conformal FDTD for electromagnetic scattering by targets with thin coating," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. PIER, No. 79, 305-319, 2008.
3. Lei, J. Z., C. H. Liang, W. Ding, and Y. Zhang, "Study on MPI-based parallel modified conformal FDTD for 3-D electrically large coated targets by using effective parameters," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 175-178, 2008.
4. Marceaux, O. and B. Stupfel, "High-order impedance boundary conditions for multilayer coated 3-D objects," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 3, 429-436, Mar. 2000.
5. Mosallaei, H. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "RCS reduction of canonical targets using genetic algorithm synthesized RAM," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 10, 1594-1606, Oct. 2000.
6. Smith, F. C., "Edge coatings that reduce mono-static RCS," IEE Proc. --- Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 149, No. 6, 310-314, Dec. 2002.
7. Geng, Y.-L., C.-W. Qiu, and N. Yuan, "Exact solution to electromagnetic scattering by an impedance sphere coated with a uniaxial anisotropic layer," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 2, 572-576, Feb. 2009.
8. Ufimtsev, P. Y. and R. T. Ling, "Keynote address: Surface waves in absorbing layers," In JINA'98 --- Proc. Int. Symp. on Atennas, 3-12, Nice, France, Nov. 17-19, 1998.
9. Ufimtsev, P. Y., R. T. Ling, and J. D. Scholler, "Transformation of surface waves in homogeneous absorbing layers," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 2, 214-222, Feb. 2000.
10. Ufimtsev, P. Y. and R. T. Ling, "New results for the properties of TE surface waves in absorbing layers," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 10, 1445-1452, Oct. 2001.
11. Paknys, R. and D. R. Jackson, "The relation between creeping waves, leaky waves, and surface waves," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 3, 898-907, Mar. 2005.
12. Neve, M. J. and R. Paknys, "A technique for approximating the location of surface- and leaky-wave poles for a lossy dielectric slab," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 1, 115-120, Jan. 2006.
13. Xu, Y. H., W. Ren, L. Liu, and K. Li, "Trapped surface wave and lateral wave in the presence of a four-layered region," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 271-285, 2008.
14. Terracher, F. and G. Berginc, "A numerical study of TM-type surface waves on a grounded dielectric slab covered by a doubly periodic array of metallic patches ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 43, 75-100, 2003.
15. Kong, J. A., "Theory of Electromagnetic Waves," EMW Pub., New York, 2005.
16. Ligthardt, L. L., "A fast computational technique for accurate permittivity determination using transmission line methods," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 31, 249-254, Mar. 1983.