The backscattering experiments of water surface by Ultra-High Frequency (UHF, 300 ~ 3000 MHz) Radar are presented in this paper. In order to study UHF radio propagation and backscatter mechanisms from fresh and salty water surfaces at a very low grazing angle, two experiments are carried out on Yangtze River bridge and cliff which face open sea with the same radar system. The physical parameters of different water surfaces are introduced as well as the signature of backscattered echoes.
2. Rowsell, D., et al., "Ocean clutter characteristics for a coherent Doppler UHF radar," MTS/IEEE Conference and Exhibition, Vol. 3, 1515-1520, 2000.
3. Forget, P., et al., "Radar sea echo in UHF in coastal zone: Experimental observations and theory," Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 7, 4274-4276, 2003.
4. Calvin, C. T., et al., Initial river test of a monostatic RiverSonde streamflow measurement system, IEEE/OES Seventh Working Conference on Current Measurement Technology, 2003.
5. Wang, C. J., B. Y. Wen, Z. G. Ma, W. D. Yan, and X. J. Huang, "Measurement of river surface currents with UHF FMCW radar systems ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 375-386, 2007.
6. Shen, W., et al., UHF radar system tested on the bridge of Yangtze River, 2007 IET Radar Conference, 1-5, Edingurgh, UK, 2007.
7. Shen, W., et al., UHF radar designed for inshore wave watcher and ocean power application, 2009 Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference, Wuhan, China, 2009.
8. Wait, J. R., "Electromagnetic Waves in Stratified Media," Pergammon, New York, 1962.
9. Huang, G. Q., et al., "Corrosion behavior of ferrous metals exposed to the Yangtze River in Wuhan China," Corrosion and Protection, Vol. 30, No. 10, 2009.
10. Wait, J. R., "Ground-wave attenuation function for a guassian modulated carrier signal," Electronic Letters, Vol. 6, No. 4, 106-107, 1970.
11. Shearm, E. D. R., et al., "Propagation and scattering in MF/HF groundwave radar," IEE Proceeding, Vol. 130, Part F, No. 7, 579-590, 1983.
12. Wu, Z. S., J.-P. Zhang, L.-X. Guo, and P. Zhou, "An improved two-scale model with volume scattering for the dynamic ocean surface ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 39-56, 2009.
13. Liang, D., P. Xu, L. Tsang, Z. Gui, and K.-S. Chen, "Electromagnetic scattering by rough surfaces with large heights and slopes with applications to microwave remote sensing of rough surface over layered media ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 199-218, 2009.