By inserting a dielectric layer, covered by a grounded metal plane, into a hollow rectangular waveguide (HRWG), a planar rectangular waveguide (PRWG) is structured. It is a new candidate solution for both MMIC and hybrid planar RF circuit applications. An intensive numerical analysis of the PRWG is conducted by a 2-D FDTD method. The propagation characteristics of the PRWG with different physical dimensions and electrical parameters are presented. This analysis shows that the PRWG can give an alterable single mode working bandwidth for dominant mode compared with the HRWG, and the size of the transverse section of the PRWG is smaller than the HRWG under the same cutoff frequency of dominant mode.
2. Wu, L.-S., X.-L. Zhou, Q.-F. Wei, and W.-Y. Yin, "An extended doublet substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) bandpass filter with a complementary split ring resonator (CSRR)," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 12, 777-779, Dec. 2009.
3. Wu, L.-S., X.-L. Zhou, and W.-Y. Yin, "Evanescent-mode bandpass filters using folded and ridge substrate integrated waveguides (SIWs)," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 3, 161-163, Mar. 2009.
4. Liu, B., W. Hong, Y. Zhang, J. X. Chen, and K. Wu, "Half-mode ubstrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) double-slot coupler," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 2, Jan. 18, 2007.
5. Wu, K.-L. and Y. Huang, "LTCC technology and its applications in high frequency front end modules," Proceedings of 2003 6th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory, 730-734, Oct. 28-Nov. 1, 2003.
6. Lecheminoux, L. and N. Gosselin, "Advanced design, technology & manufacturing for high volume and low cost production," IEEE/CPMT/SEMI 28th International Electronics Manufacturing Technology Symposium, 2003. IEMT 2003, 255-260, Jul. 16-18, 2003.
7. Mulln, T., W. Ehrhardt, K.-H. Drue, A. Gross, and L. Abahmane, "Optical-fluidic sensors in LTCC-technology," International Students and Young Scientists Workshop on Photonics and Microsystems, 54-57, Jul. 8-10, 2007.
8. Yu, Z. Y., X. Yang, and Q. F. Shi, "A new kind waveguide with a plan structure," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 2008. ICMMT 2008, Vol. 1, 311-314, 2Apr. 21-24, 008.
9. Xiao, S. and R. Vahldieck, "An efficient 2-D FDTD algorithm using real variables," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 3, 127-129, May 1993.
10. Asi, A. and L. Shafai, "Dispersion analysis of anisotropic inhomogeneous waveguides using compact 2D-FDTD," Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, 1451-1452, Jul. 1992.
11. Zhao, Y.-J., K.-L. Wu, and K.-K. M. Cheng, "A compact 2-D full-wave finite-difference frequency-dominant method for general guided wave structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 7, 1844-1848, Jul. 2002.
12. Hong, I. P. and H. K. Park, "Dispersion characteristics of a unilateral fin-line using 2D FDTD," Electron. Lett., Vol. 32, 1992-1994, Oct. 1996.
13. Yu, Z. Y., "The general numerical method of analysis of waveguides of arbitrary cross section with perfect conducting wall by FDTD and its applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 7, 1063-1073, 2003.
14. Yu, Z. Y., "A new method of S-parameter extraction from the FDTD analysis of microstrip circuit discontinuities," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 16, No. 3, 162-163, Oct. 20, 1997.