This paper presents the graphics processing unit (GPU) accelerated fundamental alternating-direction-implicit finite-difference time-domain (FADI-FDTD) with complex frequency shifted convolutional perfectly matched layer (CFS-CPML). The compact matrix form of the conventional ADI-FDTD method with CFS-CPML is formulated into FADI-FDTD with its right-hand-sides free of matrix operators, resulting in simpler and more concise update equations. Using Compute Unified Device Architecture (CUDA), the FADI-FDTD with CFS-CPML is further incorporated into the GPU to exploit data parallelism. Numerical results show that a much higher efficiency gain of up to 15 times can be achieved.
2. Namiki, T., "3-D ADI-FDTD method --- Unconditionally stable time-domain algorithm for solving full vector Maxwell's equations," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 10, 1743-1748, Oct. 2000.
3. Tay, W. C. and E. L. Tan, "Implementation of the Mur first order absorbing boundary condition in e±cient 3-D ADI-FDTD," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Society Int. Symp., 1-4, Jun. 2009.
4. Tay, W. C. and E. L. Tan, "Mur absorbing boundary condition for efficient fundamental 3-D LOD-FDTD," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 2, 61-63, Feb. 2010.
5. Berenger, J. P., "A perfectly matched layer for the absorption of electromagnetic waves," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 114, 185-200, Oct. 1994.
6. Gedney, S. D., G. Liu, J. Alan Rodden, and A. Zhu, "Perfectly matched layer media with CFS for an unconditionally stable ADI-FDTD method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 48, No. 11, 1554-1559, Nov. 2001.
7. Tan, E. L., "Efficient algorithm for the unconditionally stable," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 1, 7-9, Jan. 2007.
8. Tan, E. L., "Fundamental schemes for efficient unconditionally stable implicit finite-difference time-domain methods," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 1, 170-177, Jan. 2008.
9. Inman, M. J. and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Programming video cards for computational electromagnetics applications," Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 47, 71-78, Dec. 2005.
10. Tao, Y.-B., H. Lin, and H. J. Lin, "From CPU to GPU: GPU-based electromagnetic computing (GPUECO)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 1-19, 2008.
11. Pharr, M. and R. Fernando, GPUGems2: Programming Techniques for High-performance Graphics and General-purpose Computation, Addison-Wesley, 2005.
12. Owens, J. D., et al., "GPU computing," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 96, No. 5, 879-899, May 2008.
13. Nvidia Corporation, NVIDIA CUDA Programming Guide, Version 2.3, Aug. 2009.
14. Kirk, D. B. and W. Hwu, Programming Massively Parallel Processors: A Hands-on Approach, Morgan Kaufmann, 2010.
15. Isaacson, E., Analysis of Numerical Methods, Dover Publication, 1994.