Scattering of electromagnetic plane wave from an infinitely long circular DB cylinder placed in chiral and chiral nihility metamaterials is studied, and the results are compared with that of scattering from DB cylinder placed in free space. The discussion is further extended by considering coating of DB cylinder with chiral/chiral nihility metamaterial. For DB cylinder placed in unbounded free space/chiral/chiral nihility metamterial, only co-polarized scattered fields are obtained, whereas, for chiral/chiral nihility metamaterial coated case, both co- and cross-polarized scattered fields are noted. Numerical results are presented for different values of chirality parameter.
2. Lakhtakia, A., V. K. Varadan, and V. V. Varadan, Time Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields in Chiral Media, Springer, Berlin, 1989.
3. Lakhtakia, A. , V. K. Varadan, and V. V. Varadan, "What happens to plane wave at planar interfaces of mirror-conjugated chiral media," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 6, No. 1, Jan. 1989.
4. Lindell, I. V., A. H. Sihvola, S. A. Tretyakov, and A. J. Viitanen, "Electromagnetic Waves in Chiral and Bi-isotropic Media," Artech House, Boston, 1994.
5. Dmitrenko , A. G. and S. V. Korogodov, "Scattering of electromagnetic waves by a perfectly conducting body with a chiral coating," Radio Physics and Quantum Electronics, Vol. 41, No. 4, 1998.
6. Kluskens, M. S. and E. H. Newman, "Scattering from chiral cylinder of arbitrary cross section," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 38, No. 9, Sep. 1990.
7. Lakhtakia, A., "An electromagnetic trinity from negative permittivity and negative permeability," Int. J. of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 22, 1731-1734, 2001.
8. Lakhtakia, A., "On perfect lenses and nihility ," Int. J. of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 23, No. 3, Mar. 2002.
9. Tretyakov, S. , I. Nefedov, A. Sihvola, S. Maslovski, and C. Simovski, "Waves and energy in chiral nihility," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 5, 695-706, 2003.
10. Tretyakov , S. A., I. Nefedov, A. H. Sihvola, and S. Maslovski, "A material with extreme properties: The chiral nihility," PIERS Proceedings, 468, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, Oct. 13-16, 200.
11. Qiu, , C. W., N. Burokur, S. Zouhdi, and L. W. Li, "Chiral nihility effects on energy flow in chiral material," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 25, 55-63, 2008.
12. Cheng, X. , H. Chen, B. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Visualization of negative refraction in chiral nihility media," IEEE Ant. and Propag. Magzine, Vol. 51, No. 4, Aug. 2009.
13. Cheng, Q., T. J. Cui, and C. Zhang, "Waves in planar waveguide containing chiral nihility metamaterial," Opt. Comm, Vol. 276, 317-321, 2007.
14. Naqvi, A., "Comments on waves in planar waveguide containing chiral nihility metamaterial," Opt. Comm., Vol. 284, 215-216, 2011.
15. Naqvi, Q. A., "Fractional dual solutions to Maxwell equation in chiral nihility medium," Opt. Comm., Vol. 282, 2016-2018, 2009.
16. Bohren, C. F., "Scattering of electromagnetic waves by an optically active cylinder," J. Colliod Interface Sci., Vol. 66, 105-109, 1978.
17. Ahmed, S. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Scattering of electromagnetic wave by a coated nihility cylinder," J. of Infrared Milli. and Terahz Waves, Vol. 30, 1044-1052, 2009.
18. Ahmed, S. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Electromagnetic scattering from a chiral coated nihility cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 18, 41-50, 2010.
19. Dong, J. and C. Xu, "Characteristics of guided modes in planar chiral nihility meta-material waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 107-126, 2009.
20. Dong, J. F. and C. Xu, "Surface polaritons in planar chiral nihility metamaterial waveguides," Opt. Comm., Vol. 282, No. 19, 3899-3904, 2009.
21. Dong, J., "Exotic characteristics of power propagation in the chiral nihility fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 163-178, 2009.
22. Dong, J. F., "Guided and surface modes in chiral nihility fiber," Opt. Comm., Vol. 283, No. 4, 532-536, 2010.
23. Dong, J. F., J. Li, and F.-Q. Yang, "Guided modes in the four layer slab waveguide containing chiral nihility core," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 241-255, 2011.
24. Li, , C. and Z. Shen, "Electromagnetic scattering by a conducting cylinder coated with metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 42, 91-105, 2003.
25. Rumsey, V. H., "Some new forms of Huygens' principle," IRE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 7, 103-116, 1959 (Special supplement)..
26. Zhang, B., H. Chen, B. I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Extraordinary surface voltage effect in the invisibility cloak with an active device inside," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 100, 063904, 2008.
27. Yaghjian, A. and S. Maci, "Alternative derivation of electromagnetic cloaks and concentrators," New J. Phys., Vol. 10, 115022, 2008.
28. Weder, R., "The boundary conditions for point transformed electromagnetic invisibility cloaks," J. Phys. A, Vol. 41, 415401, 2008.
29. Lindell, I. V. and A. H. Sihvola, "Electromagnetic DB boundary," Proc. XXXI Finnish URSI Convention, 81-82, Espoo, Oct. 2008.
30. Lindell, I. V. and A. H. Sihvola, "DB boundary as isotropic soft surface," Proc. Asian Pacific Microwave Conference, 4, Hong Kong, Dec. 2008.
31. Lindell, I. V., H. Wallen, and A. H. Sihvola, "General electromagnetic boundary conditions involving normal field components," IEEE Ant. and Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 877-880, 2009.
32. Lindell, I. V. and A. H. Sihvola, "Electromagnetic boundary and its realization with anisotropic mesometrial," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 79, 026604, 2009.
33. Lindell, I. V. and A. H. Sihvola, "Electromagnetic boundary conditions defined in terms of normal field components," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 58, 1128-1135, 2010.
34. Sihvola, A., H. Wallen, and P. Yla-Oijala, "Scattering by DB spheres," IEEE Ant. and Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 542-545, 2009.
35. Lindell, I. V. and A. H. Sihvola, "Spherical resonator with DB boundary conditions," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 6, 131-137, 2009.
36. Lindell, I. V. and A. H. Sihvola, "Circular waveguide with DB boundary conditions," IEEE Trans. on Micro. Theory and Tech., Vol. 58, 903-909, 2010.
37. Naqvi, A., F. Majeed, and Q. A. Naqvi, "Planar DB boundary placed in chiral and chiral nihility mesometrial," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 21, 41-48, 2011.
38. Startton, J. A., Electromagnetic Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1941.
39. Harrington, R. F., "Time-Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields," McGraw-Hill, 1961.