The design of concentric ring arrays for isoflux radiation is presented in this paper. This design considers the reduction of the side lobe level and isoflux radiation requirements for Medium Earth Orbit (MEO) satellites. The optimization problem considers the spacing among rings and levels of amplitude excitations. The well-known method of Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) is utilized for this design case. The obtained results could cause the satellite hardware to be reduced significantly even more than that presented previously in the literature.
2. Sandau, R., H.-P. Roeser, and A. Valenzuela, Small Satellite Missions for Earth Observation: New Developments and Trends, Editorial Springer, 2010.
3. Hay, G. S. G., D. G. Bateman, T. S. Bird, and F. R. Cooray, "Simple Ka band Earth coverage antennas for LEO satellites," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium, Vol. 1, 708-711, Jul. 1999.
4. Ravanelli, R., C. Iannicelli, N. Baldecchi, and F. Franchini, "Multi-objective optimization of an isoflux antenna for LEO satellite Down-Handling link," Sentinel GMES ESA Program..
5. Koleck, T., "Active antenna coverage synthesis for GEO satellite using genetic algorithm," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 142-144, 2003.
6. Jin, J., H. L. Wang, W. M. Zhu, and Y. Z. Liu, "Array patterns synthesizing using genetic algorithm," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 1, 64-68, 2006.
7. Aerts, W. and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Optimal inter-element spacing in linear array antennas and its application in satellite communications," 34th European Microwave Conference, 2004.
8. Morabito, A. F., A. R. Lagana, and T. Isernia, "On the optimal synthesis of ring symmetric shaped patterns by means of uniformly spaced planar arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 33-48, 2010.
9. Vigano, M. C., G. Toso, P. Angeletti, I. E. Lager, A. Yarovoy, and D. Caratelli, "Sparse antenna array for earth coverage satellite applications," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Apr. 2010.
10. Reyna, A., M. A. Panduro, and C. del Rio, "Design of concentric ring antenna arrays for isoflux radiation in GEO satellites," IEICE Electron. Express, Vol. 8, No. 7, 484-490, 2011.
11. Haupt, R. L., "Optimized element spacing for low sidelobe concentric ring arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 1, 266-268, 2008.
12. Biller, L. and G. Friedman, "Optimization of radiation patterns for an array of concentric ring sources," IEEE Transactions Audio Electroacoustic, Vol. 21, No. 1, 57-61, 1973.
13. Albagory, Y. A., M. Dessousky, and H. Sharshar, "An approach for low sidelobe beamforming in uniform concentric circular arrays," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 43, 1363-1368, Dec. 2007.
14. Azevedo, J. A. R., "Synthesis of planar arrays with elements in concentric rings," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 3, 839-845, Mar. 2011.
15. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 397-407, 2004.
16. Eberhart, R. C. and Y. Shi, "Particle swarm optimization: Developments, applications and resources," Proceedings Congress Evolutionary Computation, 81-86, 2001.
17. Reyna, A. and M. A. Panduro, "Design of steerable concentric rings array using rotation properties and evolutionary optimization," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Anten- nas and Propagation, Apr. 2010.
18. Panduro, M. A., C. A. Brizuela, L. I. Balderas, and D. Acosta, "A comparison of genetic algorithms, particle swarm optimization and the differential evolution method for the design of scannable circular antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 13, 171-186, 2009.