This paper proposes an algorithm for wide-band microwave imaging for the detection of a hemorrhagic stroke. A realistic head phantom and finite-difference time-domain program are used to estimate back-scattered signals which are subsequently used in the image reconstruction process. The proposed imaging approach can lead to a portable and cost effective system; particularly suitable for rural medical clinics that lack the necessary resources in effective stroke diagnosing.
2. Serguei, Y., Y. Semenov, and D. R. Corfield, "Microwave tomography for brain imaging: Feasibility assessment for stroke detection," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2008, Article ID 254830, 8, 2008, doi:10.1155/2008/254830..
3. Trefnam, H. and M. Persson, "Antenna array design for brain monitoring," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, (AP-S 2008), San Diego, Ca, Jul. 2008.
4. Semenov, S. Y., R. H. Svenson, V. G. Posukh, A. G. Nazarov, Y. E. Sizov, A. E. Bulyshev, A. E. Souvorov, W. Chen, J. Kasell, and G. P. Tatsis, "Dielectrical spectroscopy of canine myocardium during acute ischemia and hypoxia at frequency spectrum from 100 kHz to 6 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Vol. 21, No. 6, Jun. 2002.
5. Khor, W. C., A. A. Bakar, and M. E. Bialkowski, "Investigations into breast cancer detection using ultra wide band microwave radar technique," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 712-715, Singapore, Dec. 7-10, 2009.
6. Bialkowski, M. E., D. Ireland, Y. Wang, and A. Abbosh, "Ultra-wideband array antenna system for breast imaging," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 267-270, Yokohama, Japan, Dec. 2010.
7. Bialkowski, M. E. and Y. Wang, "UWB cylindrical microwave imaging system employing virtual array antenna concept for background effect removal," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1100-4, May 2011.
8. Bialkowski, M. E., "Ultra wideband microwave system with novel image reconstruction strategies for breast cancer detection," EuMC2010: 40th European Microwave Conference 2010, 537-540, Paris, France, Sep. 2010.
9. Feigin, V., "Stroke epidemiology in the developing world," The Lancet, Vol. 365, No. 9478, 2160-2161, Jun. 2005.
10. Ma, H., J. Ly, and G. A. Donnan, "TIA and stroke: A management guide for GPs," Medicine Today, Vol. 7, No. 5, May 2006.
11. Libman, R. B., E. Wirkowski, J. Alvir, and T. H. Rao, "Conditions that mimic stroke in the emergency department. Implications for acute stroke trials," Archives of Neurology, 1119-1122, 1995.
12. Zubal, I. G., C. R. Harrell, E. O. Smith, Z. Rattner, G. Gindi, and P. B. Hoffer, "Computerized three-dimensional segmented human anatomy," Medical Physics, Vol. 21, No. 2, 299-302, 1994.
13., "Dielectric properties of body tissues in the frequency range 10 Hz-100 GHz,", Available: http://niremf.ifac.cnr.it/tissprop/ May 26, 2010.
14. Liao, Z. P., H. L. Wong, B. P. Yang, and Y. F. Yuan, "A transmitting boundary for transient wave analysis," Scientia Sinica A, Vol. 27, 10631076, 1984.
15. O'Halloran, M., M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Rotating antenna microwave imaging system for breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 203-217, 2010.
16. Zhu, G. K. and M. Popovic, "Comparison of radar and thermoacoustic technique in microwave breast imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 35, 1-14, 2011.
17. Xu, L. and S. C. Hagness, "A confocal microwave imaging algorithm for breast cancer detection," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 3, March 2001.
18. Bialkowski, M. E., Y.Wang, A. A. Bakar, and W. C. Khor, "Novel image reconstruction algorithm for a UWB cylindrical microwave imaging system," IMS2010 Digest, 1-4, Anaheim, California, USA, May 23-28, 2010.