ΛOptical bistability (OB) behavior of a Kobrak-Rice 5-level quantum system is investigated. It is demonstrated that the OB of the system can be controlled by either the intensity or relative phase of driving fields. We have also shown that by applying an incoherent pumping field, the OB behavior of the system changes and the considerable output is obtained for zero input in the gain region induced by incoherent pumping field.
2. Scully, M. O., S. Y. Zhu, and A. Gavrielides, "Degenerate quantum-beat laser: Lasing without inversion and inversion without lasing," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 62, 2813-2816, 1989.
3. Scully, M. O., "Enhancement of the index of refraction via quantum coherence," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 67, 1855-1858, 1991.
4. Boller, K. J., A. Imamoglu, and S. E. Harris, "Observation of electromagnetically induced transparency," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 66, 2593-2596, 1991.
5. Lugiato, L. A., Theory of optical bistability, Progress in Optics, Vol. 21, 71-211, E. Wolf (Ed.), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1984.
6. Gibbs, H. M. and D. Sarid, "Optical bistability: Controlling light by light," Phys. Today, Vol. 40, 71, 1987.
7. Harshawardhan, W. and G. S. Agarwal, "Controlling optical bistability using electromagnetic-field-induced transparency and quantum interferences," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 53, 1812-1817, 1996.
8. Mousavi, S. M., L. Safari, M. Mahmoudi, and M. Sahrai, "Effect of quantum interference on the optical properties of a three-level V-type atomic system beyond the two-photon resonance condition," J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys., Vol. 43, 165501-165509, 2010.
9. Sahrai, M. and M. Memarzadeh, "Optical bistability and multi-stability via quantum interference in a four-level N-type atomic system," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 50, 110201-110203, 2011.
10. Mlynek, J., F. Mitschke, R. Deserno, and W. Lange, "Optical bistability from three-level atoms with the use of a coherent nonlinear mechanism," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 29, 1297-1303, 1984.
11. Wang, H., D. J. Goorskey, and M. Xiao, "Bistability and instability of three-level atoms inside an optical cavity," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 65, 011801, 2001.
12. Joshi, A., A. Brown, H. Wang, and M. Xiao, "Controlling optical bistability in a three-level atomic system," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 67, 041801, 2003.
13. Li, J. H., X. Y. Lv, J. M. Luo, and Q. J. Huang, "Optical bistability and multistability via atomic coherence in an N-type atomic medium," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 74, 035801, 2006.
14. Mahmoudi, M., S. M. Mousavi, and M. Sahrai, "Controlling theoptical bistability via interacting dark-state resonances," EPJD, Vol. 57, 241-246, 2010.
15. Cheng, D. C., C. P. Liu, and S. Q. Gong, "Optical bistability via amplitude and phase control of a microwave field," Opt. Commun., Vol. 263, 111-115, 2006.
16. Lu, X. Y., J. H. Li, and J. B. Liu, "Controllable optical bistability and multistability in a four-level atomic system with closed-loop configuration," Chin. Phys. Lett., Vol. 24, 108-111, 2007.
17. Mahmoudi, M., M. Sahrai, and M. A. Allahyari, "Amplitude and phase control of absorption and dispersion in a Kobrak-Rice 5-level quantum system," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 24, 333-350, 2010.
18. Kobrak, M. N. and S. A. Rice, "An extension of stimulated raman selective photochemistry via adiabatic passage: Adiabatic passage for degenerate final states," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 57, 2885-2894, 1998.
19. Gong, J. and S. A. Rice, "Measurement-assisted coherent control," J. Chem. Phys., Vol. 120, 9984-9988, 2004.
20. Sugawara, M., "Measurement-assisted quantum dynamics control of 5-level system using intense CW-laser fields," Chem. Phys. Lett., Vol. 428, 457-460, 2006.
21. Scully, M. O. and M. S. Zubairy, Quantum Optics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1997.
22. Lukin, M. D., S. F. Yelin, M. Fleishhauer, and M. O. Scully, "Quantum interference effects induced by interacting dark resonances," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 60, 3225-3228, 1999.
23. Korsunsky, E. A. and D. V. Kosachiov, "Phase-dependent nonlinear optics with double-Λ atoms," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 60, 4996-5009, 1999.
24. Morigi, G., S. Franke-Arnold, and G. L. Oppo, "Phase-dependent interaction in a four-level atomic configuration," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 66, 053409, 2002.
25. Wang, G., X. Yan, J. H. Wu, and J. Y. Gao, "The phase dependent properties of gain and absorption in an Er3+-doped yttrium aluminum garnet crystal," Opt. Commun., Vol. 267, 118-123, 2006.
26. Paspalakis, E., C. H. Keitel, and P. L. Knight, "Fluorescence control through multiple interference mechanisms," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 58, 4868, 1998.
27. Mahmoudi, M. and J. Evers, "Light propagation through closed-loop atomic media beyond the multi-photon resonance condition," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 74, 063827, 2006.
28. Zhang, Y., A. W. Brown, and M. Xiao, "Matched ultraslow propagation of high efficient four-wave mixing in a closely cycled double-ladder system," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 74, 053813, 2006.