We propose an optofluidic based on two-dimensional (2D) rod-type silicon photonic crystal (PhC) waveguide that supports self-collimation effect over a large frequency and angle range without any defect or nano-scale variation in the PhC geometry. By analyzing the equi-frequency counter (EFC) of a triangular rod PhC-bands, we verify the optimum band of the structure which is suitable for self-collimation of light beams. By varying the refractive index of fluid being infiltrated into the background of PhC, we perform a systematic study of optofluidic self-collimation of light beams to achieve a wide range of angles and low loss of light. By means of selective microfluidic infiltration and remarkable dispersion properties, we show that it is possible to design auto-collimatator and negative refraction devices based on self-collimation effect with high transmission. We use the plane wave method (PWM) for analyzing the EFC and the finite difference time domain (FDTD) method for simulating the transmission properties.
2. Yablonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid-state physics and electronics," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 20, 2059-2062, 1987.
3. Li, J., J. He, and Z. Hong, "Terahertz wave switch based on silicon photonic crystals," Applied Optics, Vol. 46, 5034-5037, 2007.
4. Li, Z., Y. Zhang, and B. Li, "Terahertz photonic crystal switch in silicon based on self-imaging principle," Optics Express, Vol. 14, 3887-3892, 2006.
5. Almeida, V. R., C. A. Barrios, R. R. Panepucci, and M. Lipson, "All-optical control of light on a silicon chip," Nature, Vol. 431, 1081-1084, 2004.
6. Zhang, Y. and B. Li, "Optical switches and logic gates based on self-collimated beams in two-dimensional photonic crystals," Optics Express, Vol. 15, 9287-9292, 2007.
7. Notomi, M., "Theory of light propagation in strongly modulated photonic crystals: Refractionlike behavior in the vicinity of the photonic band gap," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 62, 10696, 2000.
8. Johnson, S. G. and J. D. Joannopoulos, Photonic Crystals: The Road from Theory to Practice, Springer, 2002.
9. Kokabi, A., H. Zandi, S. Khorasani, and M. Fardmanesh, "Precision photonic band structure calculation of Abrikosov periodic lattice in type-II superconductors," Physica C: Superconductivity, Vol. 460, 1222-1223, 2007.
10. Mekis, A. and J. Joannopoulos, "Tapered couplers for efficient interfacing between dielectric and photonic crystal waveguides," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 19, 861, 2001.
11. Kuang, W., C. Kim, A. Stapleton, and J. D. O'Brien, "Grating-assisted coupling of optical fibers and photonic crystal waveguides," Optics Letters, Vol. 27, 1604-1606, 2002.
12. Talneau, A., P. Lalanne, M. Agio, and C. Soukoulis, "Low-reflection photonic-crystal taper for efficient coupling between guide sections of arbitrary widths," Optics Letters, Vol. 27, 1522-1524, 2002.
13. Saynatjoki, A., M. Mulot, J. Ahopelto, and H. Lipsanen, "Dispersion engineering of photonic crystal waveguides with ring-shaped holes," Optics Express, Vol. 15, 8323-8328, 2007.
14. Kosaka, H., T. Kawashima, A. Tomita, M. Notomi, T. Tamamura, T. Sato, and S. Kawakami, "Self-collimating phenomena in photonic crystals," Applied Physics Letters,, Vol. 74, 1212, 1999.
15. Rakich, P. T., M. S. Dahlem, S. Tandon, M. S. MihaiIbanescu, G. S. Petrich, J. D. Joannopoulos, L. A. Kolodziejski, and E. Ippen, "Achieving centimetre-scale supercollimation in a large-area two-dimensional photonic crystal," Nature Materials, Vol. 5, 93-96, 2006.
16. Prather, D. W., S. Shi, J. Murakowski, G. J. Schneider, A. Sharkawy, C. Chen, B. L. Miao, and R. Martin, "Self-collimation in photonic crystal structures: A new paradigm for applications and device development," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 40, 2635, 2007.
17. Djeffal, Z. E., H. Talleb, D. Lautru, and V. Fouad-Hanna, "Negative refractive index behavior through magneto-electric coupling in split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 155-163, 2011.
18. Hsu, H.-T. and C.-J. Wu, "Design rules for a Fabry-Perot narrow band transmission filter containing a metamaterial negative-index defect," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 101-107, 2009.
19. Witzens, J. and A. Scherer, "Efficient excitation of self-collimated beams and single Bloch modes in planar photonic crystals," JOSA A, Vol. 20, 935-940, 2003.
20. Witzens, L., M. Mazilu, and T. F. Krauss, "Beam steering in planar-photonic crystals: From superprism to supercollimator," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 21, 561, 2003.
21. Pustai, D. , S. Shi, C. Chen, A. Sharkawy, and D. Prather, "Analysis of splitters for self-collimated beams in planar photonic crystals," Optics Express, Vol. 12, 1823-1831, 2004.
22. Chen, C., A. Sharkawy, D. Pustai, S. Shi, and D. Prather, "Optimizing bending efficiency of self-collimated beams in non-channel planar photonic crystal waveguides," Optics Express, Vol. 11, 3153-3159, 2003.
23. Prather, D. W., S. Shi, J. Murakowski, G. J. Schneider, A. Sharkawy, C. Chen, B. L. Miao, and R. Martin, "Self-collimation in photonic crystal structures: A new paradigm for applications and device development," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 40, 2635, 2007.
24. Parazzoli, C., R. Greegor, K. Li, B. Koltenbah, and M. Tanielian, "Experimental verification and simulation of negative index of refraction using Snell's law," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 90, 107401, 2003.
25. Shelby, R., D. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001.
26. Monat, C., P. Domachuk, and B. Eggleton, "Integrated optofluidics: A new river of light," Nature Photonics, Vol. 1, 106-114, 2007.
27. Ebnali-Heidari, M., C. Grillet, C. Monat, and B. Eggleton, "Dispersion engineering of slow light photonic crystal waveguides using microfluidic infiltration," Optics Express, Vol. 17, 1628-1635, 2009.
28. Hosseinibalam, F., S. Hassanzadeh, A. Ebnali-Heidari, and C. Karnutsch, "Design of an optofluidic biosensor using the slow-light effect in photonic crystal structures," Applied Optics, Vol. 51, 568-576, 2012.
29. Bakhshi, S., M. K. Moravvej-Farshi, M. Ebnali-Heidari, and , "Proposal for enhancing the transmission efficiency of photonic crystal 60o waveguide bends by means of optofluidic infiltration," Applied Optics, Vol. 50, 4048-4053, 2011.
30. Bitarafan, M., et al., "Proposal for postfabrication fine-tuning of three-port photonic crystal channel drop filters by means of optofluidic infiltration," Applied Optics, Vol. 50, 2622-2627, 2011.
31. Du, F., et al., "Electrically tunable liquid-crystal photonic crystal fiber," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 85, 2181, 2004.
32. Mendoza-Suarez, A., H. Perez-Aguilar, and F. Villa-Villa, "Optical response of a perfect conductor waveguide that behaves as a photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 433, 2011.
33. Erickson, D., T. Rockwood, T. Emery, A. Scherer, and D. Psaltis, "Nanofluidic tuning of photonic crystal circuits," Optics Letters, Vol. 31, 59-61, 2006.
34. Intonti, F., S. Vignolini, V. Turck, M. Colocci, B. L. Pavesi, S. L. Schweizer, R. Wehrspohn, and D. Wiersma, "Rewritable photonic circuits," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 89, 2111171-2111173, 2006.
35. Smith, C. L. C., D. K. C. Wu, M. W. Lee, C. Monat, S. Tomljenovic-Hanic, C. Grillet, B. J. Eggleton, D, Freeman, Y. Ruan, S. Madden, B. Luther-Davies, H. Giessen, and Y. H. Lee, "Microfluidic photonic crystal double heterostructures," Phys. Lett., Vol. 91, No. 1--3, 121103, 2007.