Based on the altitude-dependent model of the ITU-R slant atmospheric turbulence structure constant model, we present scintillation index calculations for a partially coherent Gaussian Schell-model (GSM) beam under all irradiance fluctuation conditions. The longitudinal and radial components of the scintillation index are treated separately. Our results correctly reduce to the result of the horizontal path with atmospheric structure constant fixed; and simplify to a fully coherent Gaussian beam with source coherence parameter ζ representing unit. The numerical conclusions indicate that within specific source and parameter ranges, a partially coherent GSM beam is capable of offering less scintillation in comparison with the full coherent Gaussian beam. Before the maximum value of the scintillation, the scintillation index of the partially coherent GSM beam will decrease with the increased altitude. However the off axis radial scintillation index will vanish when the Rytov variance is infinity.
2. Banakh, V. A. and V. L. Mironov, Lidar in a Turbulent Atmosphere, Artech House, Boston, 1987.
3. Bufton, J., "Scintillation statistics measured in an earth-space-earth retroreflector link," Appl. Opt., Vol. 16, 2654-2660, 1977.
4. Bufton, J., R. Iyer, and L. Taylor, "Scintillation statistics caused by atmospheric turbulence and speckle in satellite laser ranging," Appl. Opt., Vol. 16, 2408-2412, 1977.
5. Goodman, J. W., Statistical Optics, Wiley, New York, 1985.
6. Lawrence, T. W., D. M. Goodman, E. M. Johansson, and J. P. Fitch, "Speckle imaging of satellites at the U.S. Air Force Maui Optical Station," Appl. Opt., Vol. 31, 6307-6321, 1992.
7. Labreyrie, A., "Attainment of diffraction-limited resolution in large telescopes by Fourier analysing speckle patterns in star images," Astron. Astrophys., Vol. 6, 85-87, 1970.
8. Tatarskii, V. I., Wave Propagation in a Turbulent Medium, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1961.
9. Chernov, L. A., Wave Propagation in a Random Medium, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1960.
10. Ishimaru, A., Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Media, Academic Press, New York, 1978.
11. Gracheva, M. E. and A. S. Gurvich, "Strong fluctuations in the intensity of light propagated through the atmosphere close to the earth," Izvestiya VUZ Radiofizika, Vol. 8, 717-724, 1965.
12. Gochelashvili, K. S. and V. I. Shishov, "Saturated fluctuations in the laser radiation intensity in a turbulent medium," Sov. Phys. JETP, Vol. 39, 605-609, 1974.
13. Fante, R. L., "Inner-scale size effect on the scintillations of light in the turbulent atmosphere," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 73, 277-281, 1983.
14. Frehlich, R. G., "Intensity covariance of a point source in a random medium with a Kolmogorov spectrum and an inner scale of turbulence," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 4, 360-365, 1987.
15. Hopen, C. Y. and L. C. Andrews, "Optical scintillation of a Gaussian beam in moderate-to-strong irradiance fluctuations," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 4, 142-150, 1999.
16. Andrews, L. C., R. L. Phillips, and C. Y. Hopen, Laser Beam Scintillation with Applications, SPIE, 2001.
17. Wu, Z. S. and H. Y. Wei, "Study on scintillation considering inner- and out-scales for laser beam propagation on the slant path through the atmospheric turbulence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 277-293, 2008.
18. Li, J., Y. Chen, S. Xu, Y. Wang, M. Zhou, Q. Zhao, Y. Xin, and F. Chen, "Average intensity and spreading of partially coherent four-petal Gaussian beams in turbulent atmosphere," Progress In Electromagnetics B, Vol. 24, 241-261, 2010.
19. Wang, F., Y. Cai, H. T. Eyyuboglu, and Y. K. Baykal, "Average intensity and spreading of partially coherent standard and elegant Laguerre-Gaussian beams in turbulent atmosphere," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 33-56, 2010.
20. Beran, M. J. and A. M. Whitman, "Scintillation index calculations using an altitude-dependent structure constant," Appl. Opt., Vol. 27, 2178-2182, 1988.
21. Baker, G. J., "Gaussian beam weak scintillation: Low-order turbulence effects and applicability of the Rytov method," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 23, 395-417, 2006.
22. Charnotskii, M., "Beam scintillations for ground-to-space propagation. Part I: Path integrals and analytic techniques," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 27, 2169-2179, 2010.
23. Chu, X., "Evolution of beam quality and shape of HermitGaussian beam in non-Kolmogorov turbulence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 339-353, 2011.
24. Li, Y.-Q., Z.-S.Wu, and L.-G.Wang, "Polarization characteristics of a partially coherent Gaussian Schell-model beam in slant atmospheric turbulence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 453-468, 2011.
25. Baykal, Y. and H. T. Eyyuboglu, "Scintillation index of flat-topped Gaussian beams," Appl. Opt., Vol. 45, 7066-7066, 2006.
26. Eyyuboglu, H. T. and Y. Baykal, "Scintillation characteristics of cosh-Gaussian beams," Appl. Opt., Vol. 46, 1099-1106, 2007.
27. Eyyuboglu, H. T., Y. Baykal, and Y. Cai, "Scintillation calculations for partially coherent general beams via extended Huygens-Fresnel integral and self-designed Matlab function," Appl. Phys. B, Vol. 100, 597-609, 2010.
28. Miller, W. B., J. C. Ricklin, and L. C. Andrews, "Scintillation of initially convergent Gaussian beams in the vicinity of the geometric focus," Appl. Opt., Vol. 34, 7066-7073, 1995.
29. Rickin, J. C. and F. M. Davidson, "Atmospheric optical communication with a Gaussian Schell beam," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 20, 856-863, 2003.
30. Andrews, L. C., W. B. Miller, and J. C. Ricklin, "Spatial coherence of a Gaussian beam in weak and strong optical turbulence," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 11, 1653-1660, 1994.
31. Young, C. Y. and L. C. Andrews, "Effects of a modified spectral model on the spatial coherence of a laser beam," Waves Random Media, Vol. 4, 385-397, 1994.
32. Ricklin, J. C., W. B. Miller, and L. C. Andrews, "Effective beam parameters and the turbulent beam waist for initially convergent Gaussian beams," Appl. Opt., Vol. 34, 7059-7065, 1995.
33. Korotkova, O., "A model for a partially coherent Gaussian beam in atmospheric turbulence with applications for lasercom and lidar systems,", M.S. University of Central Florida, 2003.
34. ITU-R Document 3J/31-E, "On propagation data and prediction methods required for the design of space-to-earth and earth-to-space optical communication systems," Radiocommunication Study Group Meeting, International Telecommunication Union, 2001.