Temperature and thermal stress responses of an improved TTSV structure under the impact of hotspots are numerically analyzed in this paper. A Fin structure is added to the circular TTSV to strengthen the effect of thermo-mechanical mitigation. The nonlinear finite element method (N-FEM) is presented to obtain the coupled thermal and mechanical fields. Running time of the N-FEM algorithm is compared with that of commercial software to indicate its efficiency. The model of state-of-the-art 3D Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM) is adopted in our simulation. Besides the single-layer TTSV and TTSV array, the extended case of multi-layer TTSVs is also investigated. To take into consideration the nonlinear effects, the temperature dependent results for the issues of hotspot alignment and liner materials selection are provided, both of which are compared with the corresponding temperature independent results. This paper is aimed to provide some practical guidance to the design of TTSV for effective thermo-mechanical management.
2. Kang, U., et al., "8 Gb 3-D DDR3 DRAM using through-silicon-via technology," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 45, No. 1, 111-119, 2010.
3. Zhao, W. S., W. Y. Yin, and Y. X. Guo, "Electromagnetic compatibility-oriented study on through silicon single-walled carbon nanotube bundle via (TS-SWCNTBV) arrays," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 54, No. 1, 149-157, 2012.
4. Van der Plas, G., et al., "Design issues and considerations for low-cost 3-D TSV IC technology," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 46, No. 1, 293-306, 2011.
5. Selvanayagam, C., X. Zhang, R. Rajoo, and D. Pinjala, "Modeling stress in silicon with TSVs and its effect on mobility," IEEE Trans. on Compon. Packag. Manufac. Technol., Vol. 1, No. 9, 1328-1335, 2011.
6. Wu, B. and L. Tsang, "Full-wave modeling of multiple vias using differential signaling and shared antipad in multilayered high speed vertical interconnects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 129-139, 2009.
7. Chaibi, M., et al., "Nonlinear modeling of trapping and thermal effects on GaAs and GaN MESFET/HEMT devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 163-186, 2012.
8. Faiz, J., B. M. Ebrahimi, and M. B. B. Sharifian, "Time stepping finite element analysis of broken bars fault in a three-phase squirrel-cage induction motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 53-70, 2007.
9. Singh, S. G. and C. S. Tan, "Thermal mitigation using thermal through silicon via (TTSV) in 3D ICs," Int. Microsyst. Packag. Assembly Circuits Technol. (IMPACT) Conf., 182-185, 2009.
10. Lee, Y.-J. and S. K. Lim, "Co-optimization and analysis of signal, power, and thermal interconnects in 3-D ICs," IEEE Trans. on CAD of ICs and Systems, Vol. 30, No. 11, 1635-1648, 2011.
11. Hwang, L., K. L. Lin, and M. D. F. Wong, "Thermal via structural design in three-dimensional integrated circuits," Int. Symp. Quality Electron. Des. (ISQED), 103-108, 2012.
12. Thein, T. T., C. L. Law, and K. Fu, "Frequency domain dynamic thermal analysis in GaAs HBT for power amplifier application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 71-87, 2011.
13. Zhang, , J., M. O. Bloomfield, J. Q. Lu, R. J. Gutmann, and T. S. Cale, "Modeling thermal stresses in 3-D IC interwafer interconnects," IEEE Trans. on Semiconductor Manufacturing, 2006.
14. Zhang, C. B. and L. J. Li, "Characterization and design of through-silicon via arrays in three-dimensional ICs based on thermomechanical modeling," IEEE Trans. on Electron. Devices, Vol. 58, No. 2, 278-287, Feb. 2011.
15. Selvanayagam, C. S., et al., "Nonlinear thermal stress/strain analysis of copper filled TSV (through silicon via) and their °ip-chip microbumps," Electron. Compon. Technol. Conf. (ECTC), 1073-1081, 2008.
16. Wang, X. P., W. Y. Yin, and S. He, "Multiphysics characterization of transient electrothermomechanical responses of through-silicon vias applied with a periodic voltage pulse," IEEE Trans. on Electron. Devices, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1382-1389, 2010.
17. Bedrosian, G., "High-performance computing for finite element methods in low-frequency electro-magnetics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 7, 57-110, 1993.
18. Zhao, W. S., W. Y. Yin, X. P. Wang, and X. L. Xu, "Frequency-and temperature-dependent modeling of coaxial through-silicon via for 3-D ICs," IEEE Trans. on Electron. Devices, Vol. 58, No. 10, 3358-3368, 2011.
19. Shi, Y. B., W. Y. Yin, J. F. Mao, P. G. Liu, and Q. H. Liu, "Transient electrothermal analysis of multilevel interconnects in the presence of ESD pulse using the nonlinear time-domain finite element method," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 51, No. 3, 774-783, 2009.
20. Kong, F. Z., W. Y. Yin, J. F. Mao, and Q. H. Liu, "Electrothermo-mechanical characterizations of various wire bonding interconnects illuminated by an electromagnetic pulse," IEEE Trans. on Advanced Pack., Vol. 33, No. 3, 729-737, 2010.
21. Irsigler, R. and S. AG, , Available online: http://www.sematech.org/meetings/archiv es/3d/8946/pres/Irsigler.pdf.
22. Nix, F. C. and D. MacNair, "The thermal expansion of pure metals: copper, gold, aluminum, nickel, and iron," Phys. Rev.,, Vol. 60, 597-605, 1941.
23., , http://www.sematech.org/meetings/archives/3d/8946/pres/Irsigler.pdf.
24. Zhao, W. S., X. P. Wang, and W. Y. Yin, "Electrothermal effects in high density through silicon via (TSV) arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 125-145, 2010.