Evaporation duct is a manifest phenomenon that can affect microwave propagation seriously with low elevation angles near the sea surface. As an important parameter to describe the characteristic of the evaporation duct, duct height can be estimated from radar sea echo using a technique called as "refractivity from clutter". In this study, we proposed a novel approach to estimating the evaporation duct height. The signal power received by a ground-based GPS receiver is used when the GPS satellites rise or set at the local horizon over the sea. A forward propagation model and genetic algorithm are adopted to implement this method. The performance is evaluated via numerical simulation for inferring evaporation duct with different height. The results showed that the proposed method is well effective, especially for the conditions with higher evaporation duct height.
2. Gunashekar, S. D., E. M. Warrington, and D. R. Siddle, "Long-term statistics related to evaporation duct propagation of 2 GHz radio waves in the English Channel," Radio Science, Vol. 45, No. 6, 2010.
3. Paulus, R. A., "Evaporation duct effects on sea clutter," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, 1765-1771, 1990.
4. Frederickson, P. A., et al., "A modern global evaporation duct climatology," 2008 International Conference on Radar, 292-296, 2008.
5. Hitney, H. V., "Evaporation duct assessment from meteorological buoys," Radio Science, Vol. 37, 8/1-8/7, 2002.
6. Babin, S. M. and G. D. Dockery, "LKB-based evaporation duct model comparison with buoy data," Journal of Applied Meteorology, Vol. 41, 434-446, 2002.
7. Zhao, X., "Evaporation duct height estimation and source localization from field measurements at an array of radio receivers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 1020-1025, 2012.
8. Rogers, L. T., C. P. Hattan, and J. K. Stapleton, "Estimating evaporation duct heights from radar sea echo," Radio Science, Vol. 35, 955-966, 2000.
9. Wang, B., et al., "A passive technique to monitor evaporation duct height using coastal GNSS-R," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 8, 587-591, 2011.
10. Gerstoft, P., L. T. Rogers, J. L. Krolik, et al., "Inversion for refractivity parameters from radar sea clutter," Radio Science, Vol. 38, MAR18/1-MAR18/22, 2003.
11. Yardim, C., P. Gerstoft, and W. S. Hodgkiss, "Estimation of radio refractivity from radar clutter using Bayesian Monte Carlo analysis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 1318-1327, 2006.
12. Karimian, A., et al., "Refractivity estimation from sea clutter: An invited review," Radio Science, Vol. 46, RS6013, Dec. 24, 2011.
13. Zhang, J. P., Z.-S. Wu, Y. S. Zhang, and B. Wang, "Evaporation duct retrieval using changes in radar sea clutter power versus receiving height," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 555-571, 2012.
14. Zhang, J. P., Z.-S. Wu, Q.-L. Zhu, and B. Wang, "A four-parameter M-profile model for the evaporation duct estimation from radar clutter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 353-363, 2011.
15. Wang, B., Z.-S. Wu, Z. Zhao, and H.-G. Wang, "Retrieving evaporation duct heights from radar sea clutter using particle swarm optimization (PSO) algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 9, 79-91, 2009.
16. Wang, H. G., et al., "Monitoring the marine atmospheric refractivity profiles by ground-based GPS occultation," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 1-4, 2012.
17. Ao, C. O., "Effect of ducting on radio occultation measurements: An assessment based on high-resolution radiosonde soundings," Radio Science, Vol. 42, No. 2, 2007.
18. Douchin, N., et al., "Theoretical study of the evaporation duct effects on satellite-to-ship radio links near the horizon," IEE Proceedings-Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 141, No. 4, 272-278, 1994.
19. Zhang, J., et al., "Modeling low elevation GPS signal propagation in maritime atmospheric ducts," Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, Vol. 80, 12-20, 2012.
20. Dockery, D. G. and J. R. Kuttler, "Improved impedance-boundary algorithm for Fourier split-step solutions of the parabolic wave equation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, 1592-1599, 1996.
21. ITU-R P.453-10, "The radio refractive index: Its formula and refractivity data,", 2012.