A spacecraft will experience the well-known ``blackout'' problem in the re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere, which results in communication failures between the spacecraft and ground control center. It is important to study the blackout mitigation method. The effects of external magnetic field on electromagnetic wave propagation in plasma are studied by theoretical and experimental methods in this paper. The numerical results show that the attenuation of electromagnetic wave in plasma is reduced by the presence of a magnetized field. The propagation properties of electromagnetic wave in unmagnetized and magnetized plasma have been studied experimentally with plasma torch, and the experimental results are in good agreement with the theory. Both the theoretical and experimental results indicate that magnetic window is an alternative and promising way to improve the radio blackout issue.
2. Thoma, C., D. V. Rose, C. L. Miller, R. E. Clark, and T. P. Hughes, "Electromagnetic wave propagation through an overdense magnetized collisional plasma layer," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 106, 043301, 2009.
3. Ma, C. G., Q. Zhao, X. G. Luo, G. He, L. Zheng, and J. W. Liu, "Study on attenuation characteristics of millimeter wave in plasma," Acta Physica Sinica, Vol. 60, 055201, 2010.
4. Liu, J. F., X. L. Xi, G. B. Wan, and L. L. Wang, "Simulation of electromagnetic wave propagation through plasma sheath using electromagnetic wave propagation through plasma sheath using," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 39, 852-855, 2011.
5. Laroussi, M. and J. R. Roth, "Numerical calculation of the refection, absorption, and transmission of microwaves by a nonuniform plasma slab," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 21, 366-372, 1993.
6. Gurel, C. S. and E. Oncu, "Interaction of electromagnetic wave and plasma slab with partially linear and sinu-soidal electron density profile," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 171-181, 2009.
7. Soliman, E. A., A. Helaly, and A. A. Megahed, "Propagation of electromagnetic waves in planar bounded plasma region," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 25-37, 2007.
8. Guo, B. and X. Wang, "Power absorption of high frequency electromagnetic waves in a partially ionized plasma layer in atmosphere conditions," Plasma Science and Technology, Vol. 7, 2645-2648, 2005.
9. Ai, X., Y. Han, C. Y. Li, and X. W. Shi, "Analysis of dispersion relation of piecewise linear recursive convolution FDTD method for space-varying plasma," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 83-93, 2011.
10. Yin, X., H. Zhang, H. Y. Xu, and X. F. Zeng, "Improved shift-operator FDTD method for anisotropic magnetized cold plasmas with arbitrary magnetic field declination," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 38, 39-56, 2012.
11. Wang, W. and Y. Z. Guan, "Exploration of the blackout," 863 Aerosp. Technol. Commun., Vol. 6, 32-37, 1999.
12. Hodara, H., "The use of magnetic fields in the elimination of the re-entry radio blackout," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 49, 1825, 1961.
13. Starkey, R. P., "Electromagnetic wave/magnetoactive plasma sheath interaction for hypersonic vehicle telemetry blackout analysis," 34th AIAA Plasmadynamics and Lasers Conference, Orlando, USA, June 23-26, 2003.
14. Keidar, M., "Electromagnetic reduction of plasma density during atmospheric reentry and hypersonic flights," Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 45, 445-453, 2008.
15. Kim, M., L. D. Boyd, and M. Keudar, "Modeling of electromagnetic manipulation of plasma for communication during reentry flight," Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 47, No. 1, 29-35, 2010.
16. Angus, J. R., S. I. Krasheninnikov, and A. I. Smolyakov, "Kinetic theory of electromagnetic plane wave obliquely incident on bounded plasma slab," Physics of Plasma, Vol. 17, 102115, 2010.
17. Cheng, G. X. and L. Liu, "Direct finite-difference analysis of the electromagnetic-wave propagation in inhomogeneous plasma," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 38, 3109-3115, 2010.
18. Dong, L. F., W. Y. Liu, Y. J. Yang, S. Wang, and Y. F. Ji, "Spectral diagnostics of electron density of plasma torch at atmospheric pressure," Acta Physica Sinica, Vol. 60, 045202, 2011.