This paper mainly deals with the problem of target detection in compound-Gaussian clutter with orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) radar. First, the OFDM measurement model is developed to compound-Gaussian clutter by taking advantage of frequency diversity of OFDM radar waveform and we devise a generalized likelihood rate test (GLRT) detector where the target scattering coefficients and clutter covariance matrix are unknown. Then, we propose an adaptive waveform design scheme based on maximizing Mahalanobis distance of the distributions under two hypothesises to improve the detection performance. Finally, the effectiveness of the proposed detector as well as the adaptive waveform design method is demonstrated via numerical examples.
2. Varzakas, P., "Optimization of an OFDM Rayleigh fading system," International Journal of Communication Systems, Vol. 20, No. 1, 1-7, 2007.
3. Levanon, N., "Multifrequency complementary phase-coded radar signal," IEE Proc. Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 147, No. 6, 276-284, 2000.
4. Mohseni, R., A. Sheikhi, and M. A. Masnadi-Shirazi, "Compression of multicarrier phase-coded radar signals based on discrete Fourier transform (DFT)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 5, 93-117, 2008.
5. Kim, J. H., M. Younis, and W. Wiesbeck, "A novel OFDM chirp waveform scheme for use of multiple transmitters in SAR," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 10, No. 3, 568-572, 2013.
6. Sen, S. and A. Nehorai, "Target detection in clutter using adaptive OFDM radar," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 16, No. 7, 592-598, 2009.
7. Sen, S. and A. Nehorai, "OFDM MIMO radar with mutual-Information waveform design for low-grazing angle tracking," IEEE Transaction on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 6, 3152-3162, 2010.
8. Wu, X. H., A. A. Kishk, and A. W. Glisson, MIMO-OFDM radar for direction estimation, Vol. 4, No. 1, 28-36, IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, 2010.
9. Garmatyuk, D. and M. Brenneman, "Adaptive multicarrier OFDM SAR signal processing," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 49, No. 10, 3780-3790, 2011.
10. Sen, S. and A. Nehorai, "Adaptive OFDM radar for target detection in multipath scenarios," IEEE Transaction on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, No. 1, 78-90, 2011.
11. Sen, S., G. Tang, and A. Nehorai, "Multi-objective optimization of OFDM radar waveform for target detection," IEEE Transaction on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, No. 2, 639-652, 2011.
12. Kafshgari, S. and R. Mohseni, "The effect of target fluctuation on the OFDM radar detection performance," Proceedings of 20th Telecommunications Forum (TELFOR), 827-830, Belgrade, 2012.
13. Kafshgari, S. and R. Mohseni, "Fluctuating target detection in presence of non Gaussian clutter in OFDM radars," International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEÜ), 885-893, 2013.
14. Conte, E. and M. Longo, "Modeling and simulation of non-Rayleigh radar clutter," IEE Proc. - F Radar and Signal Processing, Vol. 138, No. 2, 121-130, 1991.
15. Akcakaya, M. and A. Nehorai, "Adaptive MIMO radar design and detection in compound-Gaussian clutter," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic System, Vol. 47, No. 3, 2200-2207, 2011.
16. Maio, A. D. and M. Lops, "Design principles of MIMO radar detectors," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic System, Vol. 43, No. 3, 886-898, 2007.
17. Cui, G., L. Kong, and X. Yang, "Multiple-input multiple-output radar detectors design in non-Gaussian clutter," IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, Vol. 4, No. 5, 724-732, 2010.
18. Mahalanobis, P. C., "On the generalized distance in statistics," Proc. Nat. Inst. Sci. India, Vol. 2, 49-55, 1936.
19. Anderson, T. W., An Introduction to Multivariate Statistical Analysis, 3rd Ed., Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2003.
20. Maesschalck, R. D., D. Jouan-Rimbaud, and D. L. Massart, "The Mahalanobis distance," Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, Vol. 50, 1-18, 2010.
21. Horn, R. A. and C. R. Johnson, Matrix Analysis, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K., 1990.
22. Li, N., G. Cui, and L. Kong, "MIMO radar moving target detection against compound Gaussian clutter," Circuits Syst. Signal Process, Vol. 33, 1819-1839, 2014.