This paper aims at designing a wideband planar inverted F antenna (PIFA). The design of a PIFA begins with an elementary step such as the etching of antenna element pattern in a metal trace. After the etching adherence is developed by incorporating bonding between it and a printed circuit board which is primarily an insulating dielectric substrate. A ground plane is developed by a prolonging metallic layer which is adhered to the opposite side of the substrate. The simulation is done using ANSYS HFSS full wave 3D simulation software. The proposed PIFA is very compact and also provides a gain of 2.86 dB. As a consequence of the exemplary feature like an omnidirectional radiation pattern, there is an exceptional improvement in coverage. Moreover, the frequency bands covered by the PIFA are for applications including USPCS, UMTS, ISM/Bluetooth and WLAN at (1.85 to 1.99) GHz, (1.90 to 2.20) GHz, (2.4 to 2.485) GHz and (5.1 to 5.90) GHz, respectively.
2. Anguera, J., A. Andújar, M. C. Huynh, C. Orlenius, C. Picher, and C. Puente, "Advances in antenna technology for wireless handheld devices," International Journal on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, Article ID 838364, 2013.
3. Ebrahimi, E., J. Kelly, and P. S. Hall, "A reconfigurable narrowband antenna integrated with wideband monopole for cognitive radio applications," 2009 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Charleston, SC, 2009.
4. Gaboardi, P., L. Rosa, A. Cucinotta, and S. Selleri, "Patch array antenna for UWB radar applications," 2006 European Radar Conference, 281-284, Manchester, 2006.
5. Ghanem, F., P. S. Hall, and J. R. Kelly, "Two port frequency reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radios," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 11, 534-536, May 21, 2009.
6. Puente, C., J. Anguera, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Fractal-shaped antennas and their application to GSM 900/1800," The Journal of the Institution of British Telecommunications Engineers, Vol. 2, Part 3, Jul.-Sept. 2001.
7. Risco, S., J. Anguera, A. Andújar, A. Pérez, and C. Puente, "Coupled monopole antenna design for multiband handset devices," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 10, 359-364, Feb. 2010.
8. Anguera, J., C. Puente, and C. Borja, "Dual frequency broadband microstrip antenna with a reactive loading and stacked elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 1-10, 2009.
9. Jayasinghe, J. W., J. Anguera, and D. N. Uduwawala, "A simple design of multi band microstrip patch antennas robust to fabrication tolerances for GSM, UMTS, LTE, and Bluetooth applications by using genetic algorithm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 27, 255-269, 2012.
10. Hsieh, G. B., M. H. Chen, and K. L. Wong, "Single feed dual-band circularly polarized microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, 1170-1171, 1998.
11. Jin, G. P., D. L. Zhang, and R. L. Li, "Optically controlled reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 17, 948-950, Aug. 18, 2011.
12. Medeiros, C. R., E. B. Lima, J. R. Costa, and C. A. Fernandes, "Wideband slot antenna for WLAN access points," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 79-82, 2010.
13. Lim, J. H., G. T. Back, Y. I. Ko, C. W. Song, and T. Y. Yun, "A reconfiurable PIFA using a switchable PIN-diode and a fine-tuning varactor for USPCS/WCDMA/m-WiMAX/WLAN," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2404-2411, Jul. 2010.
14. Rabemanantsoa, J. and A. Sharaiha, "Size reduced multi-band printed quadrifilar helical antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 9, 3138-3143, Sept. 2011.
15. Sanad, M., "A small size microstrip antenna having a partial short circuit," Ninth International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1995, (Conf. Publ. No. 407), Vol. 1, 282-285, Eindhoven, 1995.
16. Sri, M. N., M. Meloui, and M. Essaaidi, "Rectangular slotted patch antenna for 5-6 GHz applications," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 5, No. 2, 52-57, Mar. 2010.
17. Vainikainen, P., J. Ollikainen, O. Kivekäs, and I. Kelander, "Resonator-based analysis of the combination of mobile handset antenna and chassis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 10, 1433-1444, Oct. 2002.
18. Hossa, R., A. Byndas, and M. E. Bialkowski, "Improvement of compact terminal antenna performance by incorporating open-end slots in ground plane," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 6, Jun. 2004.
19. Anguera, J., A. Cabedo, C. Picher, I. Sanz, M. Ribó, and C. Puente, "Multiband handset antennas by means of groundplane modification," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1253-1256, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, Jun. 2007.
20. Su, S. W., "High-gain dual-loop antennas for MIMO access points in the 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz bands," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2412-2419, Jul. 2010.
21. Wang, Y., D. Su, and Y. Xiao, "Broadband circularly polarized square microstrip antenna," 2006 7th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation & EM Theory, 1-4, Guilin, 2006.
22. Zhang, Z.-Y., Y.-X. Guo, L. C. Ong, and M. Y. W. Chia, "A new wide-band planar balun on a single-layer PCB," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 6, 416-418, Jun. 2005.