On the basis of equivalent circuit analysis, we investigated the electromagnetic characteristics of artificial dielectric layers (ADLs) having arrays of square metal patches for the normal incidence of plane waves, where the electromagnetic wavelength ranges from p/10 to p/2 (p: period). A good agreement was obtained between measured and calculated S parameters and electromagnetic parameters (permittivity and permeability) for a fabricated ADL except at around 5.2 and 9.2 GHz. A possible cause of the discrepancy between the measured and calculated electromagnetic characteristics is discussed by investigating the electromagnetic wave propagating along the surface of the ADL. Applications of the equivalent circuit analysis to ADLs with other geometries are also discussed.
2. Kock, W. E., "Metal-lens antennas," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 34, 828-836, 1946.
3. Awai, I., H. Kubo, T. Iribe, D. Wakamiya, and A. Sanada, "An artificial dielectric material of huge permittivity with novel anisotropy and its application to a microwave BPF," IEEE MTT-S Digest, Vol. 1, 301-304, Philadelphia, 2003.
4. Huang, D., T. La Rocca, and M.-C. F. Chang, "Low phase noise millimetre-wave frequency generation using embedded artificial dielectric," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 18, 983-984, 2007.
5. Ma, Y., B. Rejaei, and Y. Zhuang, "Artificial dielectric shields for integrated transmission lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 18, No. 7, 431-433, 2008.
6. Ma, Y., B. Rejaei, and Y. Zhuang, "Low-loss on-chip transmission lines with micro-patterned artificial dielectric shields," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 15, 913-914, 2008.
7. Takahagi, K. and E. Sano, "High-gain silicon on-chip antenna with artificial dielectric layer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 10, 3624-3629, 2011.
8. Syed, W. H. and A. Neto, "Front to back ratio enhancement of planar printed antennas by means of artificial dielectric layers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 11, 5408-5416, 2013.
9. Peuzin, J. C. and J. C. Gay, "Demonstration of the waveguiding properties of an artificial surface reactance," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 42, No. 9, 1695-1699, 1994.
10. Cavallo, D., W. H. Syed, and A. Neto, "Closed-form analysis of artificial dielectric layers - Part I: Properties of a single layer under plane-wave incidence," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 12, 6256-6264, 2014.
11. Barzegar-Parizi, S. and B. Rejaei, "Calculation of effective parameters of high permittivity integrated artificial dielectrics," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 12, 1287-1296, 2015.
12. Luukkonen, O., C. Simovski, G. Granet, G. Goussetis, D. Lioubtchenko, A. V. Raisanen, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Simple and accurate analytical model of planar grids and high-impedance surfaces comprising metal strips or patches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1624-1632, 2008.
13. http://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc upload/All/FreeSpaceSeminarRev2.pdf.
14. Mosallaei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Antenna miniaturization and bandwidth enhancement using a reactive impedance substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2403-2414, 2004.
15. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 1998.
16. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Marko, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of effective permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Physical Review B, Vol. 65, 195104, 2002.
17. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1992.