This work deals with the optimization of an inverted F dual-band implantable antenna operating in Medical Device Radiocommunications Service (MedRadio, 401-406 MHz) and Industrial Scientific Medical (ISM, 902-928 MHz) applications bands. Artificial neural networks (ANNs) are implemented to minimize the size of the initial design. The ANN's output with the physical and dielectric parameters of antenna as inputs is tested using COMSOL Multiphysics®. The obtained results regarding the return loss S11, resonant frequency and bandwidth of the antenna are presented and discussed. Indeed, the size of the antenna is reduced by 21.48% with respect to the initial size while preserving its initial good performance in both frequency bands.
2. Beach, R. D., R. W. Conlan, M. C. Godwin, and F. Moussy, "Towards a miniature implantable in vivo telemetry monitoring system dynamically configurable as a potentiostat or galvanostat for two- and three-electrode biosensors," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 54, No. 1, 61-72, Feb. 2005.
3. Karacolak, R. Cooper and E. Topsakal, "Electrical properties of rat skin and design of implantable antennas for medical wireless telemetry," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 9, 2806-2812, Sep. 2009.
4. Li, C., P. Zhao, J. Du, C. Jiang, and Y. Ren, "Wireless link analysis of cardiovascular stent as antenna for biotelemetry," IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing (GlobalSIP), Orlando, FL, USA, Dec. 14-16, 2015.
5. Bakogianni, S. and S. Koulouridis, "An implantable planar dipole antenna for wireless medradio-band biotelemetry devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 234-237, Jun. 2015.
6. Kim, J. and Y. Rahmat Samii, "Planar inverted-F antennas on implantable medical devices: Meandered type versus spiral type," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 3, 567-572, Mar. 2006.
7. Merli, F., L. Bolomey, E. Meurville, and A. K. Skrivervik, "Implanted antenna for biomedical applications," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, San Diego, CA, USA, Jul. 2008.
8. Lee, C. M., T. C. Yo, F. J. Huang, and C. H. Luo, "Bandwidth enhancement of planar inverted F antenna for implantable biotelemetry," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 3, 749-752, Mar. 2009.
9. Liao, W. J., T. M. Liu, and S. Y. Ho, "Miniaturized PIFA antenna for 2.4 GHz ISM band applications," 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), Prague, Czech Republic, Mar. 26-30, 2012.
10. Zaharis, Z. D., K. A. Gotsis, and J. N. Sahalos, "Comparative study of neural network training applied to adaptive beamforming of antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 269-283, Mar. 2012.
11. Bose, T. and N. Gupta, "Design of an aperture-coupled microstrip antenna using a hybrid neural network," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 4, 470-474, Mar. 2012.
12. Agatonovi, M., Z. Stankovi, I. Milovanovi, N. Doncov, L. Sit, T. Zwick, and B. Milovanovi, "Efficient neural network approach for 2D DOA estimation based on antenna array measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 741-758, 2013.
13. Khan, T., A. De, and M. Uddin, "Prediction of slot-size and inserted air-gap for improving the performance of rectangular microstrip antennas using artificial neural networks," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1367-1371, Oct. 2013.
14. Sivia, J. S., A. P. S. Pharwaha, and T. S. Kamal, "Analysis and design of circular fractal antenna using artificial neural networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 251-267, Nov. 2013.
15. Manh, L. H., F. Grimaccia, M. Mussetta, and R. E. Zich, "Optimization of a dual ring antenna by means of artificial neural network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 59-69, Jan. 2014.
16. Aouiche, A., A. Djellid, and F. Bouttout, "Fuzzy neuroconformal analysis of multilayer elliptical cylindrical and asymmetrical coplanar striplines," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 69, No. 9, 1151-1166, Sept. 2015.
17. Neupane, N. and S. Shakya, "Comparative analysis of backpropagation algorithm variants for network intrusion detection," International Conference on Computing, Communication and Automation (ICCCA), Greater Noida, India, May 5-6, 2017.
18. Bakogianni, S. and S. Koulouridis, "Design of a novel miniature implantable rectenna for in-body medical devices power support," 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Davos, Switzeland, Apr. 10-15, 2016.
19. Christodoulou, C. and M. Georgiopoulos, Applications of Neural Networks in Electromagnetics, Artech House, Inc., Norwood, MA, USA, 2000.
20. Haykin, S., Neural Networks: A Comprehensive Foundation, 2nd Ed., Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, 1999.