A metamaterial sensor is designed in this paper which can be used to detect the refractive index of an unknown dielectric loaded on the top surface of a metamaterial absorber. The resonant frequency of the absorber will be changed with various refractive indexes of the loaded dielectrics. Especially, the resonant frequency of the sensor is uniquely related to the refractive index of the unknown dielectric with the constant thickness, the linear relation of which is obtained by simulation fitting. A prototype of the absorber is manufactured and measured, which testify the design theory and simulation results. The Sfre of the proposed sensor is 0.3537GHz/RIU, and the FoM can reach 11.0531RIU-1.
2. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 18, 4184-4187, 2000.
3. Cubukcu, E., S. Zhang, Y. S. Park, G. Bartal, and X. Zhang, "Split ring resonator sensors for infrared detection of single molecular monolayers," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 95, No. 4, 189, 2009.
4. Kuhestani, H., M. N. Moghadasi, M. Maleki, and F. B. Zarrabi, "Phase shifter designing base ob hale mode substrate integrated waveguide with reconfigurable quality," Microw. and Opt. Technology Lett., Vol. 57, 2563-2567, 2015.
5. Tan, C., X. Fu, Y. Hu, Y. Deng, X. Shi, S. Zhan, and Z. Xi, "Plasma optical modulation for lasers based on the plasma induced by femtosecond pulses," Optics Express, Vol. 25, 14065-14076, 2017.
6. Shen, Y., J. Zhou, T. Liu, Y. Tao, R. Jiang, M. Liu, G. Xiao, J. Zhu, Z. K. Zhou, X. Wang, C. Jin, and C. J. Wang, "Plasmonic gold mushroom arrays with refractive index sensing figures of merit approaching the theoretical limit," Nature Communications, Vol. 4, 2381, 2013.
7. Lodewijks, K., R. W. Van, G. Borghs, L. Lagae, and D. P. Van, "Boosting the figure-of-merit of LSPR-based refractive index sensing by phase-sensitive measurements," Nano Letters, Vol. 12, 1655-1659, 2012.
8. Lu, X. Y., R. G. Wan, F. Liu, and T. Y. Zhang, "High-sensitivity plasmonic sensor based on perfect absorber with metallic nanoring structures," Journal of Modern Optics, Vol. 63, 177-193, 2016.
9. Taniguchi, T., K. Sanbonsugi, Y. Ozaki, and A. Norimoto, "Temperature measurement of high speed rotating turbine blades using a pyrometer," ASME Turbo Expo 2006: Power for Land, Sea, and Air, Vol. 2, 521-529, ASME, New York, NY, USA, May 2006.
10. Zappe, S., et al., "High temperature 10 bar pressure sensor based on 3C-SiC/SOI for turbine control applications," Proc. 1st Nagaoka Int. Workshop Magn. Platform Sci. Technol., 753-756, 2000.
11. Dumais, P., C. L. Callender, J. P. Noad, and C. J. Ledderhof, "Silica-on-Silicon optical sensor based on integrated waveguides and micro-channels," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 17, 441-443, 2005.
12. Nacer, S. and A. Aissat, "Optical sensing by silicon slot-based directional couplers," Opt. Quantum Electron., Vol. 44, 35-43, 2012.
13. Syahir, A., K. Usui, K. Tomizaki, K. Kajikawa, and H. Mihara, "Label and label-free detection techniques for protein microarrays," Microarrays, Vol. 4, 228-244, 2015.
14. Fan, X. D., et al., "Sensitivity optical biosensors for unlabeled targets a review," Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 620, 8-26, 2008.
15. Dikovska, A. Og., et al., "Optical sensing of ammonia using ZnO nanostructure grown on a side-polished optical-fiber," Sens. Actuators B, Vol. 146, 331-336, 2010.
16. Topliss, S. M., et al., "Optical fibre long period grating based selective vapour sensing of volatile organic compounds," Sens. Actuators B, Vol. 143, 629-634, 2010.
17. Barrios, C. A., "Optical slot-waveguide based biochemical sensors," Sensors, Vol. 9, 4751-4765, 2009.
18. Palmer, R., et al., "Low-loss silicon strip-to-slot mode converters," IEEE Photon. J., Vol. 5, 2200409-2200509, 2013.
19. Landy, N. I., S. Sajuyigbe, J. J. Mock, D. R. Smith, and W. J. Padilla, "Perfect metamaterial absorber," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 100, 207402, 2008.
20. Harlow, J. H., Electric Power Transformer Engineering, 2-216, CRC Press, 2004, archived from the original on 2016-12-02.
21. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultzr, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001.
22. Bencker, J., A. Truugler, A. Jakab, U. Hohenester, and C. Sonnichsen, "The optimal aspect ratio of gold nanorods for plasmonic bio-sensing," Plasmonics, Vol. 5, 161-167, 2010.