Recently, the introduction of surface phase in Snell's law and Huygens' phenomena leads to ultrathin phased surfaces which can tailor the transmission and scattering of the incident wavefront in many ways. In this article, a remodeled Jerusalem cross used as the meta-element whose geometrical parameters are varied to obtain 360° phase variation, and a 3-bit quantization is presented to design phase coded surfaces to manipulate (focusing and splitting) normally incident beam. Further, two 3-bit phase quantized supercells of approximately 2λ length and width are proposed and simulated (3x3 matrix arrangement) to test and compare the scattering properties with traditional chessboard type supercell. Obtained simulated results show diffused reflections for both the models and reduced intensity of four corner lobes in comparison to chessboard supercells (at θ=30˚ and ϕ=45˚). Experimentally recorded monostatic RCS of model-2 prototype has a close agreement with the simulated results and more than 10 dBsm RCS reduction observed from 9 GHz-11 GHz.
2. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, No. 5801, 977-980, 2006.
3. Shalaev, V. M., "Optical negative-index metamaterials," Nature Photonics, Vol. 1, No. 1, 41, 2007.
4. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, 2001.
5. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, No. 5781, 1780-1782, 2006.
6. Capasso, F., "Metasurfaces: From quantum cascade lasers to flat optics," 42nd International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves (IRMMW-THz), 1-3, IEEE, 2017.
7. Yu, N., P. Genevet, M. A. Kats, F. Aieta, J. P. Tetienne, F. Capasso, and Z. Gaburro, "Light propagation with phase discontinuities: Generalized laws of reflection and refraction," Science, Vol. 334, No. 6054, 333-337, 2011.
8. Aieta, F., P. Genevet, M. A. Kats, N. Yu, R. Blanchard, Z. Gaburro, and F. Capasso, "Aberrationfree ultrathin flat lenses and axicons at telecom wavelengths based on plasmonic metasurfaces," Nano Letters, Vol. 12, No. 9, 4932-4936, 2012.
9. Yu, N. and F. Capasso, "Flat optics with designer metasurfaces," Nature Materials, Vol. 13, No. 2, 139, 2014.
10. Karimi, E., S. A. Schulz, I. D. Leon, H. Qassim, J. Upham, and R. W. Boyd, "Generating optical orbital angular momentum at visible wavelengths using a plasmonic metasurface," Light: Science & Applications, Vol. 3, No. 5, e167, 2014.
11. Ma, X., M. Pu, X. Li, C. Huang, Y. Wang, W. Pan, B. Zhao, J. Cui, C. Wang, and Z. Zhao, "A planar chiral meta-surface for optical vortex generation and focusing," Scientific Reports, Vol. 5, 10365, 2015.
12. Yu, S., L. Li, G. Shi, C. Zhu, X. Zhou, and Y. Shi, "Design, fabrication, and measurement of reflective metasurface for orbital angular momentum vortex wave in radio frequency domain," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 108, No. 12, 121903, 2016.
13. Zhu, H. L., S. W. Cheung, K. L. Chung, and T. I. Yuk, "Linear-to-circular polarization conversion using metasurface,", Vol. 61, No. 9, 4615-4623, 2013.
14. Chen, H., J. Wang, H. Ma, S. Qu, Z. Xu, A. Zhang, M. Yan, and Y. Li, "Ultra-wideband polarization conversion metasurfaces based on multiple plasmon resonances," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 115, No. 15, 154504, 2014.
15. Estakhri, N. M. and A. Alu, "Ultra-thin unidirectional carpet cloak and wavefront reconstruction with graded metasurfaces," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1775-1778, 2014.
16. Ni, X., Z. J. Wong, M. Mrejen, Y. Wang, and X. Zhang, "An ultrathin invisibility skin cloak for visible light," Science, Vol. 349, No. 6254, 1310-1314, 2015.
17. Ni, X., A. V. Kildishev, and V. M. Shalaev, "Metasurface holograms for visible light," Nature Communications, Vol. 4, 2807, 2013.
18. Minatti, G., M. Faenzi, E. Martini, F. Caminita, P. De Vita, D. Gonz´alez-Ovejero, M. Sabbadini, and S. Maci, "Modulated metasurface antennas for space: Synthesis analysis and realizations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1288-1300, 2015.
19. Donda, K. D. and R. S. Hegde, "Rapid design of wide-area heterogeneous electromagnetic metasurfaces beyond the unit-cell approximation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 60, 1-10, 2017.
20. Cui, T. J., M. Q. Qi, X.Wan, J. Zhao, and Q. Cheng, "Coding metamaterials, digital metamaterials and programmable metamaterials," Light: Science & Applications, Vol. 3, No. 10, e218, 2014.
21. Liu, S., T. J. Cui, Q. Xu, D. Bao, L. Du, X. Wan, W. X. Tang, C. Ouyang, X. Y. Zhou, and H. Yuan, "Anisotropic coding metamaterials and their powerful manipulation of differently polarized terahertz waves," Light: Science & Applications, Vol. 5, No. 5, e16076, 2016.
22. Chen, K., Y. Feng, Z. Yang, L. Cui, J. Zhao, B. Zhu, and T. Jiang, "Geometric phase coded metasurface: From polarization dependent directive electromagnetic wave scattering to diffusionlike scattering," Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 35968, 2016.
23. Wan, X., M. Q. Qi, T. Y. Chen, and T. J. Cui, "Field-programmable beam reconfiguring based on digitally-controlled coding metasurface," Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 20663, 2016.
24. Tymchenko, M., J. S. Gomez-Diaz, J. Lee, N. Nookala, M. A. Belkin, and A. Alu, "Gradient nonlinear pancharatnam-berry metasurfaces," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 115, No. 20, 207403, 2015.
25. Bahret, W. F., "The beginnings of stealth technology," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 29, No. 4, 1377-1385, 1993.
26. Park, M.-J., J. Choi, and S. S. Kim, "Wide bandwidth pyramidal absorbers of granular ferrite and carbonyl iron powders," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 36, No. 5, 3272-3274, 2000.
27. Li, M., S. Xiao, Y. Y. Bai, and B. Z. Wang, "An ultrathin and broadband radar absorber using resistive FSS," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 748-751, 2012.
28. Chaudhury, B. and S. Chaturvedi, "Study and optimization of plasma-based radar cross section reduction using three-dimensional computations," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 37, No. 11, 2116-2127, 2009.
29. Luukkonen, O., F. Costa, C. R. Simovski, A. Monorchio, and S. A. Tretyakov, "A thin electromagnetic absorber for wide incidence angles and both polarizations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 3119-3125, 2009.
30. Watts, C. M., X. Liu, and W. J. Padilla, "Metamaterial electromagnetic wave absorbers," Advanced Materials, Vol. 24, No. 23, OP98-OP120, 2012.
31. Paquay, M., J. C. Iriarte, I. Ederra, R. Gonzalo, and P. de Maagt, "Thin AMC structure for radar cross-section reduction," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 12, 3630-3638, 2007.
32. Simms, S. and V. Fusco, "Chessboard reflector for RCS reduction," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 4, 316-318, 2008.
33. Zhao, Y., X. Cao, J. Gao, and W. Li, "Broadband radar absorbing material based on orthogonal arrangement of CSRR etched artificial magnetic conductor," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 1, 158-161, 2014.
34. Esmaeli, S. H. and S. H. Sedighy, "Wideband radar cross-section reduction by AMC," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 1, 70-71, 2015.
35. Mighani, M. and G. Dadashzadeh, "Broadband RCS reduction using a novel double layer chessboard AMC surface," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 14, 1253-1255, 2016.
36. Sun, H., C. Gu, X. Chen, Z. Li, L. Liu, B. Xu, and Z. Zhou, "Broadband and broad-angle polarization-independent metasurface for radar cross section reduction," Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, 40782, 2017.
37. Su, P., Y. Zhao, S. Jia, W. Shi, and H. Wang, "An ultra-wideband and polarization-independent metasurface for RCS reduction," Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 20387, 2016.
38. Li, Q. Y., Y. C. Jiao, and G. Zhao, "A novel microstrip rectangular-patch/ring-combination reflectarray element and its application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1119-1122, 2009.
39. Chen, W., C. A. Balanis, and C. R. Birtcher, "Checkerboard EBG surfaces for wideband radar cross section reduction," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 6, 2636-2645, 2015.
40. Knott, E. F., Radar Cross Section Measurements, Springer, US, 1993.