A time reversal method is proposed for imaging and hyperthermia of tumors in breast tissues. Time reversal is based on the reciprocal nature of the electromagnetic scalar wave equation. Time reversed scattered electric fields recorded by the receiver antenna array are back-propagated in an FDTD assisted numerical model to focus back at tumor locations. The potential of this approach for thermal therapy applications is demonstrated by calculating specific absorption rates associated with the time-reversed electromagnetic fields. Simulation results elucidate the feasibility and robustness of the approach. A pulsed time domain measurement system is developed for conducting experiments to detect and measure heat absorbed by single and multiple tumors inside a simple breast phantom.
2. Lerosey, G., J. De Rosny, A. Tourin, A. Derode, G. Montaldo, and M. Fink, "Time reversal of electromagnetic waves," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 92, No. 19, 193904, 2004.
3. Mukherjee, S., A. Tamburrino, M. Haq, S. Udpa, and L. Udpa, "Far field microwave NDE of composite structures using time reversal mirror," NDT & E International, Vol. 93, 7-17, 2018.
4. Tabar, L., et al., "Reduction in mortality from breast cancer after mass screening with mammography: Randomised trial from the breast cancer screening working group of the swedish national board of health and welfare," The Lancet, Vol. 325, No. 8433, 829-832, 1985.
5. Mettler, F. A., A. C. Upton, C. A. Kelsey, R. N. Ashby, R. D. Rosenberg, and M. N. Linver, "Benefits versus risks from mammography: A critical reasessment," Cancer, Vol. 77, No. 5, 903-909, 1996.
6. Dullum, J. R., E. C. Lewis, and J. A. Mayer, "Rates and correlates of discomfort associated with mammography," Radiology, Vol. 214, No. 2, 547-552, 2000.
7. Wust, P., B. Hildebrandt, G. Sreenivasa, B. Rau, J. Gellermann, H. Riess, R. Felix, and P. M. Schlag, "Hyperthermia in combined treatment of cancer," The Lancet Oncology, Vol. 3, No. 8, 487-497, 2002.
8. Kowalski, M., B. Behnia, A. G. Webb, and J.-M. Jin, "Optimization of electromagnetic phasedarrays for hyperthermia via magnetic resonance temperature estimation," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 49, No. 11, 1229-1241, 2002.
9. Converse, M., E. J. Bond, S. C. Hagness, and B. D. van Veen, "Ultrawide-band microwave spacetime beamforming for hyperthermia treatment of breast cancer: A computational feasibility study," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 8, 1876-1889, 2004.
10. Converse, M., E. J. Bond, B. D. Veen, and C. Hagness, "A computational study of ultra-wideband versus narrowband microwave hyperthermia for breast cancer treatment," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 5, 2169-2180, 2006.
11. Bond, E. J., X. Li, S. C. Hagness, and B. D. van Veen, "Microwave imaging via space-time beamforming for early detection of breast cancer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1690-1705, 2003.
12. Al Shehri, S. A., S. Khatun, A. B. Jantan, R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, R. Mahmud, and Z. Awang, "Experimental breast tumor detection using Nn-based UWB imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 447-465, 2011.
13. O’Halloran, M., E. Jones, and M. Glavin, "Quasi-multistatic mist beamforming for the early detection of breast cancer," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 57, No. 4, 830-840, 2010.
14. Henty, B. E. and D. D. Stancil, "Multipath-enabled super-resolution for RF and microwave communication using phase-conjugate arrays," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 93, No. 24, 243904, 2004.
15. Yavuz, M. E. and F. L. Teixeira, "Full time-domain dort for ultrawideband electromagnetic fields in dispersive, random inhomogeneous media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 8, 2305-2315, 2006.
16. Akıncı, M. N., M. Çayören, and I. Akduman, "Near-field orthogonality sampling method for microwave imaging: Theory and experimental verification," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 64, No. 8, 2489-2501, 2016.
17. Roy Paladhi, P., A. Sinha, A. Tayebi, L. Udpa, and S. S. Udpa, "Improved backpropagation algorithms by exploiting data redundancy in limited-angle diffraction tomography," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 66, 1-13, 2016.
18. Vargas, H. I., W. C. Dooley, R. A. Gardner, K. D. Gonzalez, R. Venegas, S. H. Heywang-Kobrunner, and A. J. Fenn, "Focused microwave phased array thermotherapy for ablation of early-stage breast cancer: Results of thermal dose escalation," Annals of Surgical Oncology, Vol. 11, No. 2, 139-146, 2004.
19. Stang, J., M. Haynes, P. Carson, and M. Moghaddam, "A preclinical system prototype for focused microwave thermal therapy of the breast," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 59, No. 9, 2431-2438, 2012.
20. Pettinelli, E., A. Di Matteo, E. Mattei, L. Crocco, F. Soldovieri, J. D. Redman, and A. P. Annan, "GPR response from buried pipes: Measurement on field site and tomographic reconstructions," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 47, No. 8, 2639-2645, 2009.
21. Thomas, J.-L. and M. A. Fink, "Ultrasonic beam focusing through tissue inhomogeneities with a time reversal mirror: Application to transskull therapy," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 43, No. 6, 1122-1129, 1996.
22. De Rosny, J., G. Lerosey, and M. Fink, "Theory of electromagnetic time-reversal mirrors," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 10, 3139-3149, 2010.
23. Yavuz, M. E. and F. L. Teixeira, "Ultrawideband microwave sensing and imaging using time-reversal techniques: A review," Remote Sensing, Vol. 1, No. 3, 466-495, 2009.
24. Fink, M., D. Cassereau, A. Derode, C. Prada, P. Roux, M. Tanter, J.-L. Thomas, and F. Wu, "Time-reversed acoustics," Rep. Prog. Phys., Vol. 63, No. 12, 1933, 2000.
25. Leopold, K. A., et al., "Relationships among tumor temperature, treatment time, and histopathological outcome using preoperative hyperthermia with radiation in soft tissue sarcomas," International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, Vol. 22, No. 5, 989-998, 1992.
26. Zhai, H., S. Sha, V. K. Shenoy, S. Jung, M. Lu, K. Min, S. Lee, and D. S. Ha, "An electronic circuit system for time-reversal of ultra-wideband short impulses based on frequency-domain approach," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 1, 74-86, 2010.
27. Yee, K., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell’s equations in isotropic media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 3, 302-307, 1966.
28. Klauenberg, B. J. and D. Miklavcic, Radio Frequency Radiation Dosimetry and Its Relationship to the Biological Effects of Electromagnetic Fields, Vol. 82, Springer Science & Business Media, 2012.
29. Lazebnik, M., et al., "A large-scale study of the ultrawideband microwave dielectric properties of normal, benign and malignant breast tissues obtained from cancer surgeries," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 52, No. 20, 6093, 2007.
30. Chaudhary, S. S., R. K. Mishra, A. Swarup, and J. M. Thomas, "Dielectric properties of normal & malignant human breast tissues at radiowave & microwave frequencies," Indian Journal of Biochemistry & Biophysics, Vol. 21, No. 1, 76-79, 1984.
31. Prada, C., S. Manneville, D. Spoliansky, and M. Fink, "Decomposition of the time reversal operator: Detection and selective focusing on two scatterers," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 99, No. 4, 2067-2076, 1996.
32. Lynch, S. P., X. Lei, M. Chavez-MacGregor, L. Hsu, F. Meric-Bernstam, T. A. Buchholz, A. Zhang, G. N. Hortobagyi, V. Valero, and A. M. Gonzalez-Angulo, "Multifocality and multicentricity in breast cancer and survival outcomes," Annals of Oncology, Vol. 23, No. 12, 3063-3069, 2012.
33. Esserman, L. J., D. Wolverton, and N. Hylton, "Integration of breast imaging into cancer management," Current Oncology Reports, Vol. 2, No. 6, 572-581, 2000.
34. Mukherjee, S., A. Tamburrino, L. Udpa, and S. Udpa, "Nde of composite structures using microwave time reversal imaging," 42nd Annual Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 1706, 100002, AIP Publishing, 2016.
35. Mukherjee, S., L. Udpa, S. Udpa, and E. J. Rothwell, "Target localization using microwave time-reversal mirror in reflection mode," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 2, 820-828, 2017.
36. Mukherjee, S., L. Udpa, Y. Deng, P. Chahal, and E. J. Rothwell, "Design of a microwave time reversal mirror for imaging applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 77, 155-165, 2017.
37. Lazebnik, M., E. L. Madsen, G. R. Frank, and S. C. Hagness, "Tissue-mimicking phantom materials for narrowband and ultrawideband microwave applications," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 50, No. 18, 4245, 2005.
38. Kosmas, P. and C. M. Rappaport, "Time reversal with the FDTD method for microwave breast cancer detection," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2317-2323, July 2005.
39. Klemm, M., I. J. Craddock, J. A. Leendertz, A. Preece, and R. Benjamin, "Radar-based breast cancer detection using a hemispherical antenna array experimental results," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1692-1704, 2009.
40. Zhurbenko, V., "Challenges in the design of microwave imaging systems for breast cancer detection," Advances in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 1, 91-96, 2011.