The problem of impedance synthesis of two-dimensional diffraction arrays of thin linear vibrators, whose geometric centers are located at the nodes of a flat rectangular grid with double periodicity is solved analytically. The problem is formulated as follows: the complex surface impedances of the vibrators should be determined which allows to steer the diffraction radiation maximum of the array to any predefined direction. The problem is solved under following assumptions: array is excited by a polarized plane wave, and the radiation pattern (RP) of each vibrator element in the array coincides with that of an isolated radiator. The correctness of the solution is verified by simulations using the formulas for the vibrator impedances for the 5 by 5 antenna array.
2., Microwave Devices and Antennas.Designing Phased Antenna Arrays, Tutorial/edited by Voskresensky, D. I., Radiotekhnika, Moscow, 2003 (in Russian).
3. Vendik, O. G. and M. D. Parnes, Antennas with Electric Scanning (Introduction into the Theory), Sov. Radio, Moscow, 2001 (in Russian).
4. Berdnik, S. V., V. A. Katrich, M. V. Nesterenko, and Y. M. Penkin, "Electromagnetic waves radiation by a vibrators system with variable surface impedance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 51, 157-163, 2016.
5. Nesterenko, M. V., V. A. Katrich, Y. M. Penkin, V. M. Dakhov, and S. L. Berdnik, Thin Impedance Vibrators. Theory and Applications, Springer Science+Business Media, New York, 2011.
6. Penkin, Y. M., V. A. Katrich, and M. V. Nesterenko, "Formation of radiation fields of linear vibrator arrays by using impedance synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 57, 1-10, 2017.
7. Eisenberg, G. Z., Shortwave Antennas, Radio i Svyaz’, Moscow, 1985 (in Russian).
8. Amitay, N., V. Galindo, and C. P. Wu, Theory and Analysis of Phased Array Antennas, John Wiley & Sons Inc, New York, 1972.
9. Lee, R. and S. W. Mittra, Analytical Techniques in the Theory of Guided Waves, Macmillan series in electrical science, New York, 1972.
10. Penkin, Y. M., V. A. Katrich, and M. V. Nesterenko, "Impedance synthesis of 2D antenna arrays of slotted spherical radiators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 81, 93-100, 2019.
11. Lagarkov, A. N., V. N. Semenenko, A. A. Basharin, and N. P. Balabukha, "Abnormal radiation pattern of metamaterial waveguide," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, 641-644, 2008.