In this work, a Tri-Band frequency reconfigurable antenna for LTE (Long Term Evolution)/WiFi (Wireless Fidelity)/ITS (Intelligent Transportation Systems) applications is presented. The proposed design consists of a wine glass shaped slotted radiating patch along with a switchable rectangular ring type slot on the ground plane. This structure operates in three different states viz. state-1, state-2, and state-3 at 4.5 GHz (LTE band), 5.9 GHz (ITS band), and 3.8 GHz (LTE band)/5 GHz (Wi-Fi band), respectively, with an overall compact size of 30 × 30 × 0.762 mm3. Multi-band resonances are obtained by incorporating slots in the main radiating element and ground plane. Moreover, switching among these bands is achieved by placing two PIN diodes at optimized positions on the rectangular ring slot in the ground plane. For the proposed design, good agreement between simulated and measured results is obtained in all the three operating states of the design, which makes it suitable for compact reconfigurable systems.
2. Ammann, M. J. and Z. N. Chen, "Wideband monopole antennas for multi-band wireless systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 2, 146-150, Dec. 2003.
3. Luk, K. M. and B. Q. Wu, "The magneto-electric dipole-a wideband antenna for base stations in mobile communications," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2297-2307, Jul. 2012.
4. Pan, Y. M., K. W. Leung, and K. Lu, "Compact quasi-isotropic dielectric resonator antenna with small ground plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 2, 577-585, Feb. 2014.
5. Wang, D., H. Wong, and C. H. Chan, "Small patch antennas design by substrate integrated irregular ground," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 7, 3096-3103, Jul. 2012.
6. Pazin, L. and Y. Leviatan, "Inverted-F antenna with enhanced bandwidth for WiFi/WiMAX applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 3, 1065-1068, Mar. 2011.
7. Sun, J.-S., H.-S. Fang, P.-Y. Lin, and C.-S. Chuang, "Triple-band MIMO antenna for mobile wireless applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 500-503, Jul. 2015.
8. Lin, D., Z. Y. Lei, Y. J. Xie, G. L. Ning, and J. Fan, "A compact microstrip slot triple-band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1178-1181, Dec. 2010.
9. Liu, Y., H.-H. Kim, and H. Kim, "Loop-type ground radiation antenna for dual-band WLAN applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 9, 4819-4823, Sep. 2013.
10. Nguyen-Trong, N., A. Piotrowski, and C. Fumeaux, "A frequency-reconfigurable dual-band low-profile monopolar antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 7, 3336-3343, Jul. 2017.
11. Chaouche, Y. B., I. Messaoudene, I. Benmabrouk, M. Nedil, and F. Bouttout, "Compact coplanar waveguide-fed reconfigurable fractal antenna for switchable multiband systems," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, No. 1, 1-8, 2019.
12. Asadallah, F., J. Costantine, and Y. Tawk, "A multiband compact reconfigurable PIFA based on nested slots," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 2, 331-334, Feb. 2018.
13. Saeed, S. M., C. A. Balanis, and C. R. Birtcher, "Inkjet-printed flexible reconfigurable antenna for conformal WLAN/WiMAX wireless devices," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1979-1982, Mar. 2016.
14. Asif, S. M., M. R. Anbiyaei, K. L. Ford, T. O’Farrell, and R. J. Langley, "Low-profile independently-and concurrently-tunable quad-band antenna for single chain sub-6GHz 5G new radio applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 183770-183782, 2019.
15. Guo, C., L. Deng, J. Dong, T. Yi, C. Liao, S. Huang, and H. Luo, "Variode enabled frequency-reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with operation band covering S and C bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 88, 159-167, 2020.