A simple design configuration of a broadband polarization-insensitive double-layered microwave absorber is presented here. The proposed absorber is designed using indium tin oxide (ITO) based on thin resistive film. The novelty of structure is to achieve large absorption bandwidth with more than 99% absorption. The proposed structure is modeled for 20 dB absorption bandwidth at normal incidence from 6.3 GHz to 14.2 GHz spanning over C-band, X-band, and Ku-band. Under oblique incidence the proposed structure is stable up to 60˚ for TE polarization and 45˚ for TM polarization. To understand the operating principle of absorption of proposed structure, an equivalent circuit is derived, and surface current distribution is also studied. A fabricated sample is measured, which validates our simulation.
2. Fallahi, A., A. Yahaghi, H. Benedickter, H. Abiri, M. Shahabadi, and C. Hafner, "Thin wideband radar absorbers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 12, 4051-4058, 2010.
3. Bahret, W. F., "The beginnings of stealth technology," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace Electronic System, Vol. 29, No. 4, 1377-1385, 1993.
4. Ono, N., Y. Hayashi, A. Kisuki, and Y. Ikeda, "Anechoic chamber and wave absorber,", US Patent EP0660123 A2, 1995.
5. Fante, R. L. and M. T. McCormack, "Reflection properties of the Salisbury screen," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 36, No. 10, 1443-1454, 1988.
6. Salisbury, W. W., "Absorbent body for electromagnetic waves,", US Patent 2599944, 1952.
7. Du Toit, L. J., "The design of Jauman absorbers," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 36, No. 6, 17-25, 1994.
8. Emerson, W., "Electromagnetic wave absorbers and anechoic chambers through the years," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 21, No. 4, 484-490, 1973.
9. Sreenath, R., N. Mishra, and R. K. Chaudhary, "Design and analysis of an ultrathin triple-band polarization independent metamaterial absorber," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 82, 508-515, Elsevier, 2017.
10. Mishra, N., D. K. Choudhary, R. Chowdhury, K. Kumari, and R. K. Chaudhary, "An investigation on compact ultra-thin triple band polarization independent metamaterial absorber for microwave frequency applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 4370-4376, 2017.
11. Kumari, K., N. Mishra, and R. K. Chaudhary, "Wide-angle polarization independent triple band absorber based on metamaterial structure for microwave frequency applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 76, 119-127, 2017.
12. Sheokand, H., S. Ghosh, G. Singh, M. Saikia, K. V. Srivastava, J. Ramkumar, and S. A. Ramakrishna, "Transparent broadband metamaterial absorber based on resistive films," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 122, No. 10, 105105, 2017.
13. Zhang, C., Q. Cheng, J. Yang, and T. J. Cui, "Broadband metamaterial for optical transparency and microwave absorption," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 110, No. 14, 143511, 2017.
14. Chen, J., Z. Hu, G. Wang, X. Huang, S. Wang, X. Hu, and M. Liu, "High impedance surface-based broadband absorbers with interference theory," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 10, 4367-4374, 2015.
15. Tayde, Y., M. Saikia, and K. V. Srivastava, "Polarization-insensitive broadband multilayered absorber using screen printed patterns of resistive ink," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 12, 2489-2493, 2018.
16. Zhang, L., Y. Shi, J. X. Yang, X. Zhang, and L. Li, "Broadband transparent absorber based on indium tin oxide-polyethylene terephthalate film," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 137848-137855, 2019.
17. Yao, Z., S. Xiao, Z. Jiang, L. Yan, and B. Wang, "On the design of ultrawideband circuit analog absorber based on quasi-single-layer FSS," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 4, 591-595, 2020.
18. Sood, D. and C. C. Tripathi, "Broadband ultrathin low-profile metamaterial microwave absorber," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 122, 332, 2016.
19. Singh, G., A. Sharma, and S. Ghosh, "A broadband multilayer circuit analog absorber using resistive ink," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 63, 322-328, 2020.
20. Xiao, H., Z. Qu, M. Lv, H. Du, W, Zhu, C. Wang, and R. Qin, "Optically transparent broadband and polarization insensitive microwave metamaterial absorber," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 126, No. 13, 2019.
21. Ghosh, S., S. Bhattacharyya, and K. V. Srivastava, "Design, characterisation and fabrication of a broadband polarisation-insensitive multi-layer circuit analogue absorber," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 8, 850-855, 2016.
22. Shang, Y., Z. Shen, and S. Xiao, "On the design of single-layer circuit analog absorber using double-square-loop array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 12, 6022-6029, Dec. 2013.
23. Tayde, Y., et al., "An optically transparent and flexible microwave absorber for X and Ku bands application," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, 1850-1859, 2020.
24. Li, F., P. Chen, Y. Poo, and R.Wu, "Achieving perfect absorption by the combination of dallenbach layer and salisbury screen," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1507-1509, Kyoto, 2018.