This paper presents a novel variable leakage flux flux-intensifying motor (VLF-FIM) to improve flux-weakening ability. The innovation lies in the variable leakage flux property and the characteristic of Ld>Lq. The two characteristics can be achieved by the adoption of magnetic barriers and magnetic bridges. Consequently, the flux-weakening ability is enhanced. Then, the topology structure and operation principle of the proposed machine are introduced. Based on the two-dimensional finite element method (2DFEM), the electromagnetic performances of the proposed motor are analyzed and compared with the conventional interior permanent magnet motor (CIPMM) in detail. The performances mainly include torque, flux-weakening ability, constant power speed range (CPSR), irreversible demagnetization risk of the PM, structural strength, etc. Finally, the results show that the proposed motor has some advantages, such as good flux-weakening ability, a wide constant power range, and a large high-efficiency area. In addition, it verifies the effectiveness of the proposed method in improving the flux-weakening ability of the motor.
2. Jayarajan, R., N. Fernando, and I. U. Nutkani, "A review on variable flux machine technology: Topologies, control strategies and magnetic materials," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, No. 4, 70141-70156, 2019.
3. Thike, R. and P. Pillay, "Characterization of a variable flux machine for transportation using a vector-controlled drive," IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, Vol. 4, No. 2, 494-505, 2018.
4. Kim, J., D. Kim, G. Park, Y. Kim, and S. Jung, "Analysis and design of SPM type variable flux memory motor considering demagnetization characteristic of permanent magnet," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 28, No. 3, 1-5, 2018.
5. Zhu, X., S. Yang, Y. Du, Z. Xiang, and L. Xu, "Electromagnetic performance analysis and verification of a new flux-intensifying permanent magnet brushless motor with two-layer segmented permanent magnets," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1-4, 2016.
6. Sun, A., J. Li, R. Qu, J. Chen, and H. Lu, "Rotor design considerations for a variable-flux flux-intensifying interior permanent magnet machine with improved torque quality and reduced magnetization current," 2015 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 784-790, 2015.
7. Yu, J., C. Liu, Z. Song, and H. Zhao, "Permeance and inductance modeling of a double-stator hybrid-excited flux-switching permanent-magnet machine," IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, Vol. 6, No. 3, 1134-1145, 2020.
8. Yu, J. and C. Liu, "Multi-Objective optimization of a double-stator hybrid-excited flux-switching permanent-magnet machine," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 35, No. 1, 312-323, 2020.
9. Cao, L., K. T. Chau, C. H. T. Lee, and W. Lam, "Design and analysis of a new parallel-hybrid-excited machine with harmonic-shift structure," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 67, No. 3, 1759-1770, 2020.
10. Yang, H., H. Lin, Y. Li, H. Wang, S. Fang, and Y. Huang, "Analytical modeling of switched flux memory machine," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 54, No. 3, 1-5, 2018.
11. Xie, Y., Z. Ning, and Z. Ma, "Comparative study on variable flux memory machines with different arrangements of permanent magnets," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, No. 2, 164304-164312, 2020.
12. Wei, L. and T. Nakamura, "Design and optimization of a partitional stator flux-modulated memory machine," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 56, No. 4, 1-5, 2020.
13. Yang, H., H. Lin, and Z. Q. Zhu, "Recent advances in variable flux memory machines for traction applications: A review," CES Transactions on Electrical Machines and Systems, Vol. 2, No. 1, 34-50, 2018.
14. Liu, X. P., Y. L. Zou, and T. Z. Sun, "Design and performance analysis of a novel mechanical flux adjusting interior permanent magnet motor," Electrical Engineering, Vol. 103, No. 3, 1515-1524, 2021.
15. Tessarolo, A., M. Mezzarobba, and R. Menis, "Modeling, analysis, and testing of a novel spoke-type interior permanent magnet motor with improved flux weakening capability," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 51, No. 4, 1-10, 2015.
16. Zhu, Z. Q., M. M. J. Al-Ani, X. Liu, and B. Lee, "A mechanical flux weakening method for switched flux permanent magnet machines," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 30, No. 2, 806-815, 2015.
17. Limsuwan, N., T. Kato, K. Akatsu, and R. D. Lorenz, "Design and evaluation of a variable-flux flux-intensifying interior permanent-magnet machine," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 50, No. 2, 1015-1024, 2014.
18. Limsuwan, N., Y. Shibukawa, D. D. Reigosa, and R. D. Lorenz, "Novel design of flux-intensifying interior permanent magnet synchronous machine suitable for self-sensing control at very low speed and power conversion," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 47, No. 5, 2004-2012, 2011.
19. Zhao, X., B. Kou, L. Zhang, and H. Zhang, "Design and analysis of permanent magnets in a negative-salient permanent magnet synchronous motor," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, No. 4, 182249-182259, 2020.
20. Zhang, L., X. Zhu, J. Gao, and Y. Mao, "Design and analysis of new five-phase flux-intensifying fault-tolerant interior-permanent-magnet motor for sensorless operation," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 67, No. 7, 6055-6065, 2020.
21. Kato, T., M. Minowa, H. Hijikata, K. Akatsu, and R. D. Lorenz, "Design methodology for variable leakage flux ipm for automobile traction drives," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 51, No. 5, 3811-3821, 2015.
22. Fan, W., X. Zhu, L. Quan, W. Wu, L. Xu, and Y. Liu, "Flux-weakening capability enhancement design and optimization of a controllable leakage flux multilayer barrier pm motor," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 68, No. 9, 7814-7825, 2021.
23. Aoyama, M. and T. Noguchi, "Study and experimental performance evaluation of flux intensifying PM motor with variable leakage magnetic flux," Electrical Engineering in Japan, Vol. 207, No. 4, 36-54, 2019.