In this paper, a rectangular metallic monopole antenna with normal rectangular stubs is presented for application in ultra-wide band communication systems. It is shown by computer simulations (HFSS and CST) and actual fabrication and measurement that the addition of protruding normal metallic stubs lead to the increase of impedance band width. The optimum design of geometrical dimensions of the antenna (consisting of the monopole plate and stubs) achieves up to 10 dB return loss in the UWB (3.1-10.6 GHz) frequency range. The radiation efficiency of antenna is better than 95%. Furthermore, the antenna provides linear polarization, with quite low cross-polarization levels.
2. Ammann, M. J., "Control of the impedance bandwidth of wideband planar monopole antennas using a beveling technique," Microwave and Optical Tech. Letters, Vol. 30, No. 4, 229-232, Aug. 2001.
3. Ammann, M. J. and Z. N. Chen, "A wide-band shorted planar monopole with bevel," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 4, 901-903, Apr. 2003.
4. Antonino-Daviu, E., M. Cabedo-Fabre's, M. Ferrando-Bataller, and A. Valero-Nogueira, "Wideband double-fed planar monopole antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 23, 163-165, Nov. 13, 2003.
5. Chan, H. S., H. I. Hraga, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, N. J. McEwan, J. M. Noras, and P. S. Excell, "A low-profile ultra-wideband modified planar inverted-F antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 1, 100-108, 2013.
6. Ghosh, S., "Design of planar crossed monopole antenna for ultrawide-band communication," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 548-551, 2011.
7. Ammann, M. J., "Square planar monopole antenna," Proc. IEE Nat. Antennas Propag. Conf., IEE Publication No. 461, 37-40, York, UK, 1999.
8. Wong, K.-L., S.-W. Su, and C.-L. Tang, "Broadband omnidirectional metal-plate monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 581-583, 2005.