A single-feed dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized (CP) microstrip antenna is proposed. The antenna consists of a circular radiating patch with a ring slot, two substrates with an air layer sandwiched between them and a capacitive coupling feed. The two resonant frequencies are controlled by the size of the circular radiating patch and the ring slot. By introducing the perturbation, the fundamental resonant mode splits into two orthogonal degenerate modes, and the CP radiation pattern is obtained. Capacitive disk coupling feed is also used in the design to enhance the band-width. The key parameters of the design are investigated to show how to obtain dual-band and dual-sense CP. The proposed antenna prototype is fabricated and measured. Experimental results show that good CP radiation performances are obtained at both resonant frequencies.
2. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Monofilar spiral slot antenna for dual-frequency dual-sense circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 8, 3061-3065, 2011.
3. Chen, , Y.-Y., et al., "Dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized slot antenna with a c-shaped grounded strip," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 915-918, 2011.
4. Chen, C. and E. K. N. Yung, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly-polarized CPW-fed slot antenna with two spiral slots loaded," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1829-1833, 2009.
5. Lee, B., et al., "Dual-band dual-circularly-polarized sector antenna for GPS and DAB systems," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 46, No. 1, 43-46, 2005.
6. Rezaeieh, S. A., "Dual band dual sense circularly polarised monopole antenna for GPS and WLAN applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 22, 1212-1214, 2011.
7. Lei, Z. Y., et al., "Design of dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 43, 2013.
8. Shao, Y. and Z. Chen, "A design of dual-frequency dual-sense circularly-polarized slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 11, 4992-4997, 2012.
9. Sze, J.-Y., T.-H. Hu, and T.-J. Chen, "Compact dual-band annular-ring slot antenna with meandered grounded strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 299-308, 2009.
10. Lei, S., et al., "A dual-band multifunction carborne hybrid antenna for satellite communication relay system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 329-340, 2009.
11. Lee, Y.-C. and J.-S. Sun, "Compact printed slot antennas for wireless dual-and multi-band operations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 289-305, 2008.
12. Islam, M. T., M. N. Shakib, and N. Misran, "Broadband EH shaped microstrip patch antenna for wireless systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 163-173, 2009.
13. Geng, J.-P., et al., "The development of curved microstrip antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 53-73, 2009.
14. Vazquez-Antuna, C., et al., "Microstrip antenna design based on stacked patches for reconfigurable two dimensional planar array topologies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 95-104, 2009.
15. Cao, W., et al., "A single-feed broadband circular polarized rectangular microstrip antenna with chip-resistor loading," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1065-1068, 2010.
16. Heidari, A. A., M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009.
17. Yang, K.-P. and K.-L. Wong, "Dual-band circularly-polarized square microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 3, 377-382, 2001.
18. Hsieh, G.-B., M.-H. Chen, and K.-L. Wong, "Single-feed dual-band circularly polarised microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 12, 1170-1171, 1998.