In this paper, a K-band right hand circularly polarized (RHCP) antenna array with 4×4 elements is designed, fabricated, measured and analyzed. The RHCP pattern is obtained from the helical antenna elements, with a unit cell of every four elements, sequentially counterclockwise by 90 deg. To decrease the profile of the vertical interconnection between the helical antenna and its feeding network, the integration of this RHCP antenna and its feeding networkis realized by low temperature co-fired ceramic (LTCC) technology. The antenna's feeding network consists of eight directional couplers, four circulators, and one power divider. In the feeding network, different RF channels' isolations are improved by the shield structures which are realized by metal filled via holes. For the operating frequency, the measured axial ratio (AR) is better than 1.25 dB. The proposed antenna is small in size, andit is a very good candidate for mobile satellite communications.
2. Sohn, J. R., K. Y. Kim, H.-S. Tae, and H. J. Lee, "Comparative study on various artificial magnetic conductors for low-profile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 27-37, 2006.
3. Liu, C., S. Xiao, and X. Zhang, "A compact, low-profile wire antenna applied to wide-angle scanning phased array," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 3, 389-392, 2018.
4. Zhang, Y. P. and D. Liu, "Antenna-on-chip and antenna-in-package solutions to highly integrated millimeter-wave devices for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2830-2841, 2009.
5. Kam, D. G., D. Liu, A. Natarajan, S. Reynolds, H.-C. Chen, and B. A. Floyd, "LTCC packages with embedded phased-array antennas for 60GHz communications," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 3, 142-144, 2011.
6. Cao, B., H. Wang, Y. Huang, and J. Zheng, "High-gain L-probe excited substrate integrated cavity antenna array with LTCC-based gap waveguide feeding network for W-band application," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 63, No. 12, 1-1, 2015.
7. Qian, K. and X. Tang, "Compact LTCC dual-band circularly polarized perturbed hexagonal microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1212-1215, 2011.
8. Lai, Q. H., C. Fumeaux, W. Hong, and R. Vahldieck, "60 GHz aperture-coupled dielectric resonator antennas fed by a half-mode substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 6, 1856-1864, Jun. 2010.
9. Huang, J., "A technique for an array to generate circular polarization with linearly polarized elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 9, 1113-1124, 1986.
10. Chen, A., Y. Zhang, Z. Chen, and S. Cao, "A Ka-band high-gain circularly polarized microstrip antenna array," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1115-1118, 2010.
11. Huang, X. B. and K.-L. Wu, "A low-loss Ka-band LTCC circularly polarized microstrip antenna array with laminated waveguide feeding network," 2011 IEEE Electrical Design of Advanced Packaging and Systems Symposium (EDAPS), 1-2, Hanzhou, 2011.
12. Bisharat, D., S. Liao, and Q. Xue, "A new circularly polarized monopole antenna for 60 GHz communications," 2014 IEEE International Workshop on Electromagnetics (iWEM), 173-174, Sapporo, 2014.
13. Sun, M., Y. X. Guo, M. F. Karim, and L. C. Ong, "Integrated 60-GHz LTCC circularly polarized antenna array," 2009 IEEE International Symposium on Radio-Frequency Integration Technology (RFIT), 178-181, Singapore, 2009.
14. Deng, R., F. Yang, S. Xu, and M. Li, "An FSS-backed 20/30-GHz dual-band circularly polarized reflectarray with suppressed mutual coupling and enhanced performance," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 65, No. 2, 2017.
15. Wang, H., H. Sun, and G. Han, "An active receiving phased array for satellite communication in K band," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Computational Electromagnetics (ICCEM), 160-162, Guangzhou, 2016.
16. Deng, R., S. Xu, and F. Yang, "Design of a Ku/Ka quad-band reflectarray antenna for satellite communications," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 1217-1218, Fajardo, 2016.
17. Krau, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas for All Applications, McGraw-Hill, 2003.
18. Stuber, G. L., et al., "Low-profile helical array antenna fed from a radial waveguide," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 48, No. 6, 107-115, 2006.
19. Liu, C., Y. Guo, X. Bao, and S. Xiao, "60-GHz LTCC integrated circularly polarized helical antenna array," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1329-1335, Mar. 2012.
20. Du, M., Y. Dong, J. Xu, and X. Ding, "35-GHz wideband circularly polarized patch array on LTCC," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 65, No. 6, 3235-3240, Jun. 2017.
21. Li, Y., Z. N. Chen, X. Qing, Z. Zhang, J. Xu, and Z. Feng, "Axial ratio bandwidth enhancement of 60-GHz substrate integrated waveguide-fed circularly polarized LTCC antenna array," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 60, No. 10, 4619-4626, Oct. 2012.