A novel printed dipole antenna was designed for the L-band satellite communication system INMARSAT (Downlink: 1525--1559 MHz, Uplink: 1626.5--1660.5 MHz). Several structural parameters were experimentally studied with care to establish a design procedure. The measured results show that the impedance bandwidth for return loss below -10 dB is about 170 MHz and that the half-power bandwidth (HPBW) can be up to 110°. The antenna can be used in high latitudes because of wider HPBW.
2. Vladimir, V. S., "Inmarsat systems and services," ICSC'94, Proceedings of International Conference on Satellite Communications, 45-52, Oct. 1994.
3. Howell, A. and D. Greenwood, "Antennas for INMARSAT 3 and beyond," IEE Colloquium on Satellite Antenna Technology in the 21st Century, 41-46, Jun. 1991.
4. Guy, R. F. E., C. B. Wyllie, and J. R. Brain, "Synthesis of the INMARSAT 4 multibeam mobile antenna," 12th International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 90-93, Mar. 31--Apr. 3, 2003.
5. Geissler, M., F. Woetzel, M. Bottcher, S. Korthoff, A. Lauer, M. Eube, and R. Gieron, "Innovative phased array antenna for maritime satellite communications," EuCAP2009, 3rd European Conferenc on Antennas and Propagation, 735-739, Mar. 23--27, 2009.
6. Pivit, F., D. Loffler, and W. Wiesbeck, "A broadband, ship based, electronically steered L-band SATCOM antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 456-459, Jun. 2003.
7. Noro, T. and Y. Kazama, "A novel wideband circular polarization microstrip antenna combination of different shaped antenna element," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 467-470, Jul. 2005.
8. Strickland, P. C., "Planar arrays for MSAT and INMARSAT land mobile satellite communications," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 1388-1391, Jun. 18--23, 1995.
9. Sze, J.-Y., C.-L. G. Hsu, M.-H. Ho, Y.-H. Ou, and M.-T. Wu, "Design of circularly polarized annular-ring slot antennas fed by a double-bent microstripline," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 2, 3134-3139, Nov. 2007.
10. Lin, C. L., Circularly Polarized Antenna, Post & Telecom Press, Peking, China, 1986.
11. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "A printed dipole antenna for wideband circular polarization operation," EuCAP2009, 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2367-2370, Mar. 2009.
12. Fan, Z., S. Qiao, H.-F. Jiang Tao, and L. X. Ran, "A miniaturized printed dipole antenna with v-shaped ground for 2.45GHZ RFID readers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 149-158, 2007.
13. Lumini, F. and J. C. da S. Lacava, "Near electromagnetic fields in open chirostrip structures excited by printed dipoles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 27, 61-89, 2000.
14. Hu, Y.-S., M. Li, G.-P. Gao, J.-S. Zhang, and M.-K. Yang, "A double-printed trapezoidal patch dipole antenna for UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 259-269, 2010.