This paper presents a novel wideband planar dipole antenna with parasitic patches. Of which, acting primarily as directors, the parasitic elements aim to improve the radiation patterns in terms of gain especially at the higher frequencies. For verification, the proposed novel structure was fabricated and measured. The proposed antenna is well-matched with achieved VSWR<2 and has a good radiation performance across the entire operating frequency range of 3-8 GHz.
2. Ma, T.-G. and S.-K. Jeng, "A printed dipole antenna with tapered slot feed for ultrawide-band applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3833-3836, 2005.
3. Low, X. N. and Z. N. Chen, "A compact planar dipole antenna with ultra-wide band performance," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-S 2008, 1-4, 2008.
4. Park, Y.-J. and J.-H. Song, "Development of ultra wideband planar stepped-fat dipole antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 9, 1698-1701, 2006.
5. Zheng, G., A. A. Kishk, A. W. Glisson, and A. B. Yakovlev, "A broadband printed bow-tie antenna with a simplified balanced feed," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 6, 534-536, 2005.
6. Zhang, Z. Y. , G. Fu, S. L. Zuo, and S. X. Gong, "Wideband Uni-directional patch antenna with Γ-shaped strip feed," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 1, 24-26, Jan. 7, 2010.
7. Li, J.-Y., "Compact size dipole antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 21, 1229-1231, Oct. 9, 2008.
8. Balanis, C. A., "Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design," John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1996.
9. Schantz, H., The Art and Science of Ultrawideband Antenna, Artech House, Boistom, USA, 2005.