A full-wave approach is proposed to evaluate the shielding performance of metallic rectangular double-stage cascaded enclosures with apertures. The analysis has been carried out by means of the mode-matching technique and the mixed potential integral equation solved with the Method of Moments. The effects of the dimension of enclosures, the orientation of apertures, the polarization direction of the incident wave, the aperture thickness and the high-order modes propagating in enclosures are taken into account. The accuracy of the proposed approach is validated by comparing with other methods and numerical simulation results can derive some conclusions: the shielding performance of cascaded enclosures is better than that of single-stage enclosures, the shielding effectiveness can be improved with increasing the distance between stages in the range, and the shielding performance of the double-stage enclosure with parallel-pattern apertures in horizontal polarization case is better than that in vertical polarization case.
2. Robinson, M. P., T. M. Benson, C. Christopoulos, J. F. Dawson, M. D. Ganley, A. C. Marvin, S. J. Porter, and D. W. P. Thomas, "Analytical formulation for the shielding effectiveness of enclosures with apertures," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 40, No. 3, 240-247, 1998.
3. Lei, J.-Z., C.-H. Liang, and Y. Zhang, "Study on shielding effectiveness of metallic cavities with apertures by combining parallel FDTD method with windowing technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 85-112, 2007.
4. Araneo , R. G. Lovat, "Fast MoM analysis of the shielding effectiveness of rectangular enclosures with apertures, metal plates, and conducting objects," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 51, No. 2, 274-283, 2009.
5. Dehkhoda, P. , A. Tavakoli, and R. Moini, "Fast calculation of the shielding effectiveness for a rectangular enclosure of finite wall thickness and with numerous small apertures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 341-355, 2008.
6. Xue, M. F., W. Y. Yin, Q. F. Liu, and J. F. Mao, "Wideband pulse responses of metallic rectangular multistage cascaded enclosures illuminated by an EMP," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 50, No. 4, 274-283, 2008.
7. Bahadorzadeh Ghandehari, M., M. Naser-Moghaddasi, and A. R. Attari, "Improving of shielding effectiveness of a rectangular metallic enclosure with aperture by using extra wall," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 45-50, 2008.
8. Zhang, B. Q., "Research on mode-matching method in microwave passive component design,", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, Chengdu, 2004.
9. Wu, G., X. G. Zhang, and B. Liu, "A hybrid method for predicting the shielding effectiveness of rectangular metallic enclosures with thickness apertures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8-9, 1157-1169, 2010.
10. Harrington, R. F., Time-harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, IEEE Press, New Jersey, 2001.